What are your favourite horsey books?

:giggle::giggle::biggrin:

Actually I was reading this the other day, in Greek as well as English (I studied Classics at university and Xenophon writes very straightforwardly).

This chap is writing in the 5th century BC but he talks sense like:

- don't try to drag your horse into an outline with the bit, let him show himself off

- dismount in the school, so the horse associates it with comfort as well as work

- exercise your horse in a variety or places and for different lengths of time so he doesn't get bored

- the rider should have a firm and balanced seat for riding at top speed over all kinds of country (bareback! remember)

- if your horse is afraid of something, don't chide him but lead him up to it gently, show him you are not afraid of it, and tell him how silly it is that such a fierce war horse should be afraid of something so minor!

No wonder the Parthenon horses look so magnificent. Ziggy looks just like them (when not a porky pie), same height too :happy:

Love this J!
Also find I refer back to Heather Moffat - Enlightened Equitation regularly.

Fi.;2652334- the rider should have a firm and balanced seat for riding at top speed over all kinds of country (bareback! remember) [/QUOTE said:
I just felt moved to add -

Bareback

Men

NAKED (the ancient Greeks didn't wear much to fight in)

On stallions!!!!! :cold::hot::eek:

Last edited:
newrider.com