What are your top 3 tips for a first time pony owner??

Is it rainscald from being rugged without being fully dried, or is it because he's got to warm and itched?
Mine will overheat in a sheet and I only put that on with a high trace.

Cant see from the picture has that rug got any d rings around the neck if so you could just buy a detachable neck peice.
Can i suggest you take a close up of the scald and post on another thread so people can look and might be able to advise.

Reactions: Jessey
Just an update... I cant believe the dramatic start we've had to our first experience of pony ownership: non-stop rain throughout February, leading to yard move within first 4 weeks and now lockdown.

Anyway, despite bumps in the road, we're still finding positives. We've conquered the rearing and silly behaviour in-hand when turning out, found out that extremely slow walk and frequent stopping when ridden was due to needing front shoes (first time hes ever had shoes on and he did so well!), have enlisted a regular rider who managed a good few weeks hacking busy routes before lockdown made it harder and hes spooking much less, the lice, scabs and bald spots have gone and hes looking so handsome with new summer coat coming through.

We still need to work on manners, mainly nipping, and lifting feet and we're taking the opportunity of more time on our hands to do some lunge work and horse agility (total beginners!) I feel happier for listing these small steps - sometimes it feels very hard at the moment, I'm sure you'll all agree xx20200327_174451.jpg

Just an update... I cant believe the dramatic start we've had to our first experience of pony ownership: non-stop rain throughout February, leading to yard move within first 4 weeks and now lockdown.

Anyway, despite bumps in the road, we're still finding positives. We've conquered the rearing and silly behaviour in-hand when turning out, found out that extremely slow walk and frequent stopping when ridden was due to needing front shoes (first time hes ever had shoes on and he did so well!), have enlisted a regular rider who managed a good few weeks hacking busy routes before lockdown made it harder and hes spooking much less, the lice, scabs and bald spots have gone and hes looking so handsome with new summer coat coming through.

We still need to work on manners, mainly nipping, and lifting feet and we're taking the opportunity of more time on our hands to do some lunge work and horse agility (total beginners!) I feel happier for listing these small steps - sometimes it feels very hard at the moment, I'm sure you'll all agree xxView attachment 101961
Hello! Just found your thread. He looks lovely. I really do sympathise with you now all this virus stuff has hit. I hope it hasn't knocked the gloss off things for you too much, and you can continue to enjoy him. Take care

I would say the same to any new horse or pony owner and that is: I would say give a new pony time to settle in - do lots of work on the ground with the pony in the first week. Try hard not to ride until the pony has built up trust in you. Everyone will tell you to ride but honestly - from experience I know that this is not the right thing to do. When they move homes it is like taking a child away from their friends and family without telling them it is happening and without any warning or explanation. The pony may well be really grieving for his / her friends. It is this initial time when things often get rushed and then people start riding and suddenly the pony wont leave the end of the drive and starts napping and wanting to go home. They just need to build up trust in you and their surroundings first. Lead around the property and the field - lots of grooming and talking to and leading over poles and up and down the entrance and wherever you can - keep it low key and easy. Make the most of the joining and bonding. Have a lovely time and if you are not experienced yet then try taking a course on equine care or horse care etc.

newrider.com