What are your top 3 tips for a first time pony owner??

Jan 20, 2020
Hi, new here and I'm in the hugely exciting position of waiting for our first pony to arrive at the weekend. We've been very lucky to get rental on a lovely stable and grazing on a small yard a stone's throw from home and seemingly a wonderful, quiet 13.2 hh cob gelding. We've loaned ponies (one for me and one for my 6 year old daughter) this past 18 months but owning seems a big new adventure.

I've done my best to be prepared, but I'd still say I'm novice in riding and horse care (having lessons at a riding school as I'd had 15 years absence from the saddle before loaning!)

What are your top tips? Looking forward to hearing your replies xx

Oooh how thrilling for you! My top tips would be:
1. if it feels right to ride pony cob when he first arrives then do! (Maybe not on the exact day lol but you get the idea) I know a lot of people wait - and that's fine too, it's whatever feels right and safe for you.
2. make sure you have take aways / ready meals planned for at home. You'll be so excited and busy those first few days you won't have time to cook (assuming you do cook most of the time)
3. don't be afraid to ask for help - if there are regular fellow liveries around - they love to impart help to newbies and it's surprising sometimes the things new owners can overlook
I suppose there are loads and loads more. But anyway, do keep us posted. And we love pics on here too..................... :D :D

Hi welcome to NR :D
My top tips, never say never, expect the unexpected and get used to asking for help :) but on the more helpful side, get yourself a basic first aid kit and either a lesson on dealing with basic injuries or a book on it, because it really will happen and probably in the first 5 minutes that you are alone with your pony if you aren't prepared ;) and invest in good quality tools/equipment/gear, it will pay for itself by saving you physically and lasting longer.

If you can find a good RI to have lessons on your own pony then do.
Accept that it won't be perfect all the time - we make mistakes and so do they, just don't view it as a disaster.
Relax and enjoy yourself.

@Trewsers has a very good point about ready meals if you have any hope for keeping domestic harmony!

So grateful for the tips and advice I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask! (And if course pics when he arrives).

Great idea about stocking up on easy meals, that will please the hubby! I guess it's a but like having a newborn - life in chaos for a short while!

Yes, @carthorse I'm lucky to know a fab instructor so will definitely be booking her in once we've settled in a bit. Hadn't thought if hirse first aid kit either @Jessey but will get prepared on that one.

It's probably a blessing that the loan ponies we've looked after haven't been the best behaved We've learned a few mischievous tricks to watch out for! x

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Listen to your horse/pony
Nothing is written in stone
Safety at all times
Do not buy any second hand tack without professional guidance. False economy. You get what you pay for. Exactly that.
Expect your horse/pony to change - it is not a bicycle
Don't ride by Committee. You will get a different opinion from every single person you ask.
Horses are like babies - you can buy every piece of equipment but at the end of the day if something is going wrong, look at yourself first, not the horse. 99% is rider error and as the owner/rider you are the one who has to change in order to help your horse/pony change.

And drink gin! That helps hugely. xx

Hi and welcome, how exciting for you!

My only advice I can think of right now is don't be afraid of asking questions, especially to your vet, RI and on here. That's how you learn so much more. Obviously we all have different ways of doing things but you'll learn what's right for you as you go along.

Hi and welcome :) No other advice to offer, but @newforest gave @Jane&Ziggy a brilliant bit of advice when she got her baby horse, if only I could remember what it was! It made me chuckle but it was so true, hoping she sees this and remembers it :D
I can't remember it. Interested to find the post though.
It could be the once in my lifetime only bit of good advice ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
I can't remember it. Interested to find the post though.
It could be the once in my lifetime only bit of good advice ha ha.

I can't find it, I've searched high and low ... sure I didn't dream it lol. It was something about deciding how you were going to do things and then throwing all your decisions out of the window when the horse had plans of its own, only put so much better than that!

@Bodshi was it this post -

Step 1 unload
Step 2 lead off
Step 3 pop in a stable
Step 4 crap yourself
Step 5 insure them
Step 6 go home

Step 7 go up the next morning
Step 8 let them out and just walk around and sniff
Step 9 discover they don't know how to tie up
Step 10 go fetch them- learn they are good to re catch ;)
Step 11 order more leadropes to replace snapped one.
Step 12 crap yourself again!

@Bodshi was it this post -

Step 1 unload
Step 2 lead off
Step 3 pop in a stable
Step 4 crap yourself
Step 5 insure them
Step 6 go home

Step 7 go up the next morning
Step 8 let them out and just walk around and sniff
Step 9 discover they don't know how to tie up
Step 10 go fetch them- learn they are good to re catch ;)
Step 11 order more leadropes to replace snapped one.
Step 12 crap yourself again!

No, but that's a good one too :D

No, but that's a good one too :D
I think I can remember saying look at the horse in front of you and be prepared to realise you need to change because they weren't going to.
Though mine had opinions at 18 months and even the vet said her mindset is the same now as it was when they saw her. And there's me thinking I have had an ounce of input in training her!

I think I can remember saying look at the horse in front of you and be prepared to realise you need to change because they weren't going to.
Though mine had opinions at 18 months and even the vet said her mindset is the same now as it was when they saw her. And there's me thinking I have had an ounce of input in training her!
Yes I think it was that one, something about deciding how you were going to do thing, eg natural horsemanship etc and then having to accept the horse had its own plans ...

You and Tilley have an excellent relationship now, so if you haven't trained her she must have trained you very well :D:D :p

Reactions: newforest
newrider.com