What breed should I buy????

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Here's my wish list:
1) Totally reliable on the ground with kids as my 3 little ones will want lots of cuddles.
2) Friendly and sociable (see above)
3) Sane and sensible as I need to do roadwork to get to any decent trails
4) Hardy as he/she will live out in herd 24/7 all year round.
5) Willing, responsive and versatile but also reliable and kind as I am into x-c and endurance but also want to take kids on lead rein rides on the same horse!

I was (am) keen on an Icelandic but I've got an endurance book that says stocky horses aren't good for endurance because they are the wrong shape for cooling down.

Any ideas or is this a search for the holy grail???

I'm buying next June (to celebrate turning 40!!)

I agree with Lacey! Welshiees are like exactly what you want they are stocky and my ones live out 24/7! But be careful with the spring grass if you get one before spring ends they might get lami.

Funny,,, I know a number of people that do long distance endurance with Icelandics.
The most Famous in the US... is John Parks and his older Icelandic Remmington. They have done over 10,000 miles together! Should be able to google it to find info on him.
So people saying Icelandic's can't do endurance...has never done endurance with them.

Anyway.. What you need is a been there done that type of horse/pony with lots of real ride miles. They can be harder to find and will cost more but well worth it.

Hi Krissie, I know someone who as the most stunning well bred welsh section d mare for sale, she is 4 and her temprement and manners are fantastic. She is not yet backed but if you wanted any more details about her let me know. I will pm you with the details.

Funny,,, I know a number of people that do long distance endurance with Icelandics.
The most Famous in the US... is John Parks and his older Icelandic Remmington. They have done over 10,000 miles together!

Well that's ok then.

Do you reckon they tick all the other boxes???

They are very hardy.... 99% are very, very easy keepers.

You will need to look for what they call a Grandma horse.
Something well trained, steady and willing to go just the speed asked.

Just like in any other breed , if you are willing to take your time to look, to find just the right one..Icelandic's can fit the bill.

Its interesting to see what different people say about different breeds. I have had two New Forest ponies and they were both really really sharp! As is one my friend owns.... I also think that some Welshies can be sharp and sensitive and I certainly wouldn't think a four year old would fit what you are looking for.
Icelandics (if you get the right one!) are a fantastic breed but if you are interested it may be worth getting to know as many people in the Icelandic community in this country as you can before you buy one! You will get a lot of help and advice :). I also know of at least one Icelandic in this country competing in endurance.

Native x are good.

My boy is arab x welsh type, he has a gaited pace/trot thing he does that covers the gorund, he has the hardy welsh about him, but he is fiery and fast and araby in that way.
He isn't as chunky as a full welsh and cools down quite easily, he seems to have the stamina of both breeds.

there are a few icelandics doing the under 50mile comps in endurance.

It depends how far you want to take your endurance riding, do you want to do pleasure rides, or work at a comp level, stick to the 50's and below, or put in the 5 or 6 yrs training and aim for the 150 multi day events.

under 50's id go with icelandics, but then im biased *G* over 50 & comp.. im biased again, find yourself a very well produced arab from the old polish lines & by the time you train up to a 75mile, you'll have a friend for life who'll give you his soul on a timed event.

If you want something else than the natives proposed :

Arabs are hardier than you think and most are extremely intelligent so (if well brought up) will adapt to the rider and situation :
I used to put my 3yo brother and complete novice mum up on my arab mare (she'd never put a foot wrong) and then I'd jump on and go hooning about the New Forest ... all in the same day :eek:

Western-trained horses (QH coz I'm biased ;) ) are excessively well trained and are pretty versatile too

I think you need to look at the individual rather than the breed.

My 5yo welsh cob would tick all your boxes even though he's young & doesn't have many miles on the clock. However I've known others that would be totally unsuitable. Don't get too fixed on a breed, unless you want to show in breed classes, & don't rule out the Heinz 57s either!

Unless you want to do higher level endurance then most horses/ponies with decent conformation & that are kept fit should cope.

I would recommend a section C. I do everything on mine and is very reliable to lead my son on, despite being a stallion. He comes in and bandages his legs with me before shows and sits on him when I plait his mane over. He jumps well over 3 foot

I'm very biased but how about a criollo? Get the right one and they are bombproof, easy to handle, clever, curious, trustworthy, characterful and loyal. Read Tchiffelys ride - he took 2 criollos 10,000 miles back in the 20s (ish). Even now they have an annual endurance race for criollos (La Marcha I think) that would have most endurance horses on their knees.

Not cheap though...

I've never heard of criollos! They sound wonderful so I'll do some more research. This is getting harder and harder - but the search for the 'perfect horse' is lots of fun! 13 months to go..... (though OH said he reckoned I'd have a horse by the end of the summer: "you never wait for anything!!!")

Not ruling out Heinz 57 is also a good idea - my best ever horse was Heinz 57 - bit of Northern Irish cob in there somewhere plus a lot of other stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations.

newrider.com