What breed would you suggest?

My Connie is a full up 14.2, in a 5ft9 rug and in a cob/full size bridle, same as my 14.3 Welsh x Arab, was and same near enough to my 15hh Appy x Criollo (She's in a 6ft rug). My mum and I are 5ft4/5 and about your weight, so I wouldn't rule them out as being small ponies. :) I've seen Connies up to 15hh as well, and they are pretty cheap and plentiful over here.

My Storm is 15hh and a connie, she'd carry @Jessey just fine.

Reactions: Jessey and No_Angel
Oh get a mule! Get a mule!

But if a horse, I second the Criollo, they are gorgeous. Numa is a fantastic stallion. They could go all day with you up and packing everything you possessed on the saddle. Morgans are also lovely as long as you get an old fashioned one - they are getting a bit long and leggy I think, but they are the original American Welsh Section D!

Or you could ask @KarinUS if she could spare Minnie....

Finally, you could just stick with a QH. Just sayin' ;)

Reactions: Jessey
I'd say a Welsh D... Looks, intelligence, character, size! Just make sure it's the willing to work type & not the type which needs to be convinced why it should do what you're asking... Unless you have a lot of time and patience!!

Ooh if you don’t want a Haffy, an Iberian would be my next choice, gorgeous horses although an appy would suit you, I have only known three of them, well one was an appy x Welsh D and they’ve all been quirky, sharp but super dependable.
I don’t much care for full on QH, too muscly, but a mustang I would also consider, not actually seen one in the flesh but everything I’ve read about them makes them sound like super little horses.

To me it sounds like you've pretty much described a Welsh D, though they can be every bit as "silly" (or in my opinion cleverer than their rider lol) as an Arab. Or a Welsh D x Arab, my first pony was a Welsh Arab and was great fun though actually far less sensitive & less of a drama queen than my Welsh D. But if you like Arabs why not just go for a smaller, stockier Crabbet one? Arabs may look delicate but they're bred to work & carry men for long hours over distance at pace, I really don't think you'll break one at 13 stone! Interestingly I was looking at a riding stables in Dubai (may be going on holiday there) & they had a weight limit of 120kg/18.8 stone & I bet most if not all of their horses will be Arabs!!!!

To me it sounds like you've pretty much described a Welsh D, though they can be every bit as "silly" (or in my opinion cleverer than their rider lol) as an Arab. Or a Welsh D x Arab, my first pony was a Welsh Arab and was great fun though actually far less sensitive & less of a drama queen than my Welsh D. But if you like Arabs why not just go for a smaller, stockier Crabbet one? Arabs may look delicate but they're bred to work & carry men for long hours over distance at pace, I really don't think you'll break one at 13 stone! Interestingly I was looking at a riding stables in Dubai (may be going on holiday there) & they had a weight limit of 120kg/18.8 stone & I bet most if not all of their horses will be Arabs!!!!
I'm definitely not discounting arabs (or any others on my list), just looking for other ideas as well :) Welsh x Arab was what I was looking for when I brought my Anglo :)

Fells are heavier than I really love @Star the Fell

I'm not sure about friesian x @No_Angel, I've not ridden one, not sure if they might have the uncomfortable trot from massive knee action? I might have to try and blag a ride on one to see ;) I would like a loud overo paint, paints are pretty similar to QH's in most ways.

Last edited:
I like the mule!

I think you'd suit an arab. My friend has a arab x cob and he's actually lovely.

I wonder...I wouldn't discount breeding something myself (broodmare on loan type plan) can you make arab mules ...? :p it must be a thing, here we come google :D
I really fancy a mule because they are meant to be totally different to train than horses and I like learning/challenges, and they are also meant to be tough as old boots :)

Reactions: lauren123
What about a Rocky Mountain horse??

There are a few people in Scotland with them and they love them and seem to tick all your boxes

What about a Rocky Mountain horse??

There are a few people in Scotland with them and they love them and seem to tick all your boxes
I love the RMH's but they tend to be 14hh don't they? at least most of them were when I was in the rockies :p

Reactions: MrC
If you are planing to do lots of distance riding make sure if you go for a D that the trot isn't too bouncy, our D had the worst trot over distances, looked flashy on the ground but it gets a bit wearing after a few miles, plus I always found you had to rise for an extra beat to get the timing right,lol.

Good point - my friend on her Section D always suffers with her knees and ankles when we're out for a long time, in fact I'm sure that Arabs are so popular with middle aged endurance riders is because they're so comfortable to ride.

Good point - my friend on her Section D always suffers with her knees and ankles when we're out for a long time, in fact I'm sure that Arabs are so popular with middle aged endurance riders is because they're so comfortable to ride.

Totally agree! My D is comfortable while he's chilled, but if he gets excited or tense then I swear his paces could be used as a torture device - his walk jolts every inch of me & his trot becomes almost too big to ride.

There are a few uk Facebook pages for them. :)
I looked through a lot last night, most seem to have set up and then gone inactive :( there seems to be more private breeders from what I can tell on RMH owners group, even activity there is quite low.

newrider.com