What calmers do you all use?

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Who uses calmers here? What do you use? And does it work?

I want to try something with Birdie. She's very laid back at home....but once we get to lesson venues, she fidgets and faffs whilst she's being tacked up, making life very difficult, a pain at the mounting block, and very innattentive during the lesson......She spends half the lesson admiring horses in the fields nearby, and getting completely distracted by liveries loading their horses or bringing in/turning out. She's seen it all before,but you'd never believe it, the way she behaves. She loses all concentratiin in the lesson.

In her defence, I haven't had her long, and she is only six,but I need her start concentrating at the mounting block at the VERY least...... Today I tried Feedmark's MagnaFeed, that's the first I've tried, and it had no effect whatsoever!!

Anyone got any experiences of using Calmers? Any recommendations?

While Ziggy was on box rest I used James Hart's V-Calm. It contains Valerian and is herbal but very very effective - but banned in competition so you would need something else if you are competing. The James Hart "Mellow" is good too especially if you want something to use all the time, rather than for a short period.

I gave Ljósfaxi a couple of tubs of one of the well known calmers, ( not all at once) can't remember its name now.......maybe because it had no effect whatsoever on his fizzing little brain.

Since it is only away from home you have any issues you need to experiment with legal calming syringes.

Apart from Oxyshot all the others fall into two categories those with magnesium only and those with L tryptophan. Only experiment will tell you which is best for your horse. Do however be aware that by using it for normal riding you are removing the benefits of use on competition where it is useful to counteract the added tension of the rider. Also experiment with timings as some wear off suddenly and after a quite short time, other take a time to take effect. These are particular to your horse, not what it says on the packet!!

Bear in mind however that you also need to desensitise your horse to going out, this is always an area of issue with young ex racers.

If you google herbal calmers you will see that horses fit into four categories, those that respond to valerian, those that respond to vervain, or camomile or hops. Quite interesting - how sad am I!

I have tried a couple and none of them work, what I did find that worked was me chilling out and relaxing lol!!

I tried pure mag oxide powder
A herbal calmer cant remember its name
and also tried oxishot once and if anything it made him worse!! LOL

I used to use NAF Magic but tbh I don't think it made a discernible difference. Now he gets nothing b/c there's magnesium (and valerian I think) in the Blue Chip balancer he gets. Also, he's in alot more work now and out at night - both of which help hugely.

P

Nupafeed - expensive but works without knocking them off. We keep on a maintenance level then double up the two days before a competition. You've seen it working - Tavia was on it at the Nationals last year.

Also use ProKalm powder which works very well on an acute basis. If Tavia & Rolo have to compete at the same venue they are dosed on that as we have separation anxiety issues with them. On the ProKalm the screaming is minimal compared to constant. it is expensive but you can get a trial size pack to give it a go. She also got some of that last year!

http://www.sciencesupplements.co.uk/store/shopexd.asp?id=17

I've heard good things about the Blue Chip Karma, but don't know if you can compete using it?
I asked our vet the other day because when JOe goes out he's going to need something to take the edge off (he's done so much box rest he'll probably explode which is what I really don't want). Apparently our vet sells one - can't remember the name but you can use it as and when required - either that or long term. Going to invest in that, I'll let you know what happens.

Horse First RelaxMe is legal and kicks in short term so it only needs to be fed a few days prior to a competition etc. to have an effect.
I have used Oxyshot but to little effect to be honest.

Herbal calmers have a cumulative effect so you would need to feed it all the time rather than an "as and when" basis.

If memory serves me right, Hops is recommended for the 'scattered' horse, which mine is as well. I was thinking to buy some for him. I don't mind feeding it all the time, so cumulative effect is fine for us.

Magnesium based calmers - ie. Naf Magic, mag ox etc., will only work if your horse is deficient in magnesium - bit like cattle with staggers.

Pro Kalm seems to have some good reviews, but I am never sure with feeding chemically things. I too have heard that Oxyshot can have the reverse effect on horses.

Personally I rate Global Herbs. They have got shot of Toby's sarcoids and after three tubes of ointment for his eye infection, using their Immuplus for his immune system knocked it on the head really well.

They have Super Calm and a thoroughbred calmer because apparantly thoroughbreds react better on that.

Thankyou all so much for your experiences. Am going to read through it all again tomorrow,and try to formulate a plan of action. It has all been very helpful.
Meanwhile I tried a syringe of magnafeed by Feedmark, but it made no diference whatsoever,sadly. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed...........

newrider.com