What colour is this horse?

Chev is the fountain of knowledge when it comes to stuff like this!

He looks lovely! He does look bay but maybe there is some sort of other gene lurking which gives the tail colour and perhaps white markings?

He is bay but he has either sabino or splash white in there too - both those genes cause that type of white making and mane and tail colour. Looking at the pattern of white on his face I'd guess at splash white.

TBs in other countries do come in some wide variety of colour - there used to be a site called cool and unusual Thoroughbreds that showed a wide range of coloured TBs (overo gene not tobiano though) but I can't find it now.

I wonder where all the groovy colours came from in American and Australian TBs? Presumably there must have been some outcrossing at some point? British TBs have very sober coloration altogether.

I wonder where all the groovy colours came from in American and Australian TBs? Presumably there must have been some outcrossing at some point? British TBs have very sober coloration altogether.

The Americans will tell you the cream gene that makes palomino and buckskin have been in the UK thoroughbred all along but unrecognised, they don't want to admit someone lied about their mare getting it with next door's palomino cow horse.

ETA There are true roan TBs in Australia which are a new mutation. You can also get frame overo and many types of Dominant White in TBs. Dominant White mutates all the time and can appear from normal parents.

Last edited:
The Americans will tell you the cream gene that makes palomino and buckskin have been in the UK thoroughbred all along but unrecognised, they don't want to admit someone lied about their mare getting it with next door's palomino cow horse.

ETA There are true roan TBs in Australia which are a new mutation. You can also get frame overo and many types of Dominant White in TBs. Dominant White mutates all the time and can appear from normal parents.

Fascinating! Thank you!

Thanks for the interesting and informative replies. I've just been going back through Vasily's breeding and it seems most of his lineage are the normal bay or chestnut. However I've just found a picture of his dam and it looks as though she is similar coloured - only two white socks and not so much white on the face but a grey tail.

I did enjoy looking on that site with the coloured TBs - I always thought they came in bay, chestnut, black or grey!

newrider.com