What constitutes a well bred horse ?

Asima~ I agree with you to a certain extent but also think to be a compitition horse they need a certain spark to do the job.. But it's no good if they are so hot that they can't use the talent they have!! My sister had a very well bred Zangerside mare that she gave to a top showjumper to sort out and he said it was the hottest thing he had ever sat on!!! My sister persisted with her took her to spain jumped FEI small tour never really getting any where with her!! Now she's a broodmare make lots of well bred babies!! And my sis is a very good rider but she was just too hot to ride had the ability of clearing the collecting ring when having a mary strop!! Ive seen her do laps on her hind legs!! She was always a compleate poppet to handle my sis misses having her to pet but not to ride!!

You've said what I've been trying to say unsuccessfully STEF :eek:
Spark is fine, not being able to handle and unridable is not so much.

I don't think my late night brain was having much success in articulating what I meant!!!

In no way was I advocating breeding horses that are unridable - that's a complete misinterpretation of my post. By 'suitable' temperament, all I mean is a temperament that is good, but appreciating there WILL be a variance in what is required in that temperament. For example, you would hope that a well bred children's first ridden show pony would have the patience of a saint and a very calm demeanor, whereas the well bred eventer needs to be quick thinking (for safety) enthusiastic and brave. None of these are bad traits - but you don't want your top class eventer to be a steady eddie, and you certainly don't want your 12hh childs pony to be too enthusiastic and brave. Both are essentially 'good' temperaments, but crucially different.

I personally think temperament is more important than conformation - it's all very well if something moves beautifully, but if it doesn't want to do the job, it won't. But you have to bear in mind that 'the job' varies!!!

Also, Tasel, again this isn't really what I mean;

That can't work... you just have to look at the top horses in several disciplines for that. A lot of top SJ horses are related to dressage horses, for example... they are all kinda mixed these days. What you are talking about is how it used to be done ages ago and which is still done theoretically... but genes are just not that easy to manipulate.

I am not saying you need different streams of horses that are not related - (although obviously a well bred norwegian fjord is probably not going to be related to a well bred flat racehorse) what I am trying to say is that I don't agree with the train of thought that there is one homogeneous standard of being 'well bred' - and that just because something is a cob doesn't mean it isn't well bred, despite the fact it probably doesn't have any fancy names in the pedigree.

what constitutes a well bred horse?

Blood line is pretty important I think, but on the other hand, that doesn't necessarily mean the horse will be a top eventer or whatever. Some of that is luck and good training!

Other than that, as in humans, well bred constitutes good manners at all times,and no biting, kicking or swearing in public! :)

Roseanne xxx

I agree with the breed standard comments to a certain extent but some breeds have become very exagerated - TB's for example. Good bloodlines are all very well but not when the bloodlines become too close - as seems to be acceptable to a lot of soceitys - this brings about inherrant faults. I notice that no one has condemed the amount of inbreeding that occurs - I personally disagree with it as I beleive that it has been detrimental to many breeds - dogs as well as horses.

I do think that some of the continental breeds seem to have some good ideas. I can only speak with any real knowledge about friesians as that is what I own.

I consider my mare Dandea well bred - firstly she is by a stallion who has twice been named supreme stallion - on the mare's side she comes from a very old bloodline with lots of graded mares. That on it's own though isn't enough, I took her to a breed grading where she was given a linear score on her conformation, movement, trueness to breed - she was awarded a 2nd Premie Ster - there are only a couple of grades that are higher than that, 1st Premie and Model. Any friesian entered in the FPS studbook has been inspected and graded - some get taken for inspection and refused entry so have to stay in the foalbook.

For a stallion to be graded in Holland they have to be capable of a certain level of dressage and show driving plus temperaments are assesed before they are given permission to breed and then the offspring are assesed for a number of years - if the offspring aren't good enough in any way then the stallion will have the breeding priveleges taken away - mares are also assesed in this way = not as much over here as it's very expensive!

Also inbreeding is frowned on - the aim is for an inbreeding coeffiecient of less than 5%.

I think that taking all factors in consideration is good - my mare was by one of the best stallions that Holland had to offer and was therefore 'well bred' by some standards but that didn't count for anything really until she had passed her inspection.

Very difficult subject to explain though!

Well bred to do the job you want it to do.

'Sno good buying a Derby winner with more champions in his pedigree than you can shake a stick at if you want him to pull a milk foalt!

newrider.com