What constitutes ability to trot?

LeilaLei

Jul 18, 2023
Hello

A lot of the trail ride centres (aka hacking) will have rides that require an ability to trot. At what point could somebody say they're able to trot?

For example, I can do a reasonable rising trot the length of the arena, turn both directions sometimes, and get over a few trot poles.
However, I get tired after a few minutes and I get wonky at times. When things get a bit too messy we end up with the brakes on and back to a walk.

We have tried dressage tests for a focus a couple of times and I've been able to get through a few chunks.

I wouldn't say I can trot because I can't consistently sustain it for more than a few minutes, but I don't know what would be the accepted benchmark?

At what point could I say I'm able to trot as far as levels for a trail ride?

My first thought would be to find out if you could do a slow trail ride with some trot. You might find it easier if you are simply going forward.

If you are in the arena I suspect that its the corners that may unbalance you, and there are four of those whichever direction you go in.

Confession I probably have the odd wonky stride.

To build up strength you could some off the horse exercises?

Like everything with horses, it depends, doesn't it?

The first time I remember falling off a horse I was 10 or 11 and trotting the little Connie I was learning on. I turned him round a downhill corner and just slipped off the side because I couldn't trot and keep my balance! So ignominious. So for me, being able to trot means being able to trot through manoeuvres - up hill, down hill (not common with me mind you) and under low branches etc.

I'm not riding fit at the mo so couldn't easily trot for more than a few minutes but I expect it will come back. Sid's not fit for long trot either!

I do think it's easier trotting out on a ride in a straight line. Tell the providers how you are getting on with trot and I'm sure they can offer you a suitable ride. You can built your trot fitness that way.

You'll probably find it easier out hacking as it's straight lines and the horse is usually more inclined to keep moving forward so you don't have to work so hard. If you're wondering if you'll manage why not ring up the centre and tell them what you've told us, they'll know how much trotting they do on rides and if you'll be ok.

For most trail riding places I would say the benchmark is can you normally trot without falling off? šŸ˜¬šŸ™„:D they are generally used to dealing with tourists and therefore complete novices, so the horses are normally pretty reliable and good at following one another. I would def explain where you are at to them, I'm sure they will guide you.

Thank you for the thoughts. I actually emailed a trail ride place I'd like to go to and got a sensible response. The ride I'm going to do is for "adventurous beginners" meaning you can walk and trot if you like (including saddle hours and practice). Of course taking notice of the guides.

It isnt clear to me whether we are talking about sitting trot (Western) or English rising trot, called posting in USA.

But I recommend group trail rides, if properly and safely run. OH and I went on many trail rides when touring in the USA. We were both competent English riders in w t and c, hacking and in the school sitting trot which is needed for Western riding.
Group trail rides in USA went out in single file. This could be disconcerting in that one's horse transitioned to trot when the horse ahead began to trot, and so on down the line. The horse was copying the transition of the ride leader and the customers had no control either to ask for trot or to return to walk.

There were also unsolicited trots. If one was slow negoitiating some obstacle or uneven ground, the horse would trot to catch up the horse in front. Some customers had never been on a horse before and clung onto the saddle horn, leaving the horses to do their job unguided.
Those of us who could ride were usually at the end of the line with just a wrangler behind us, and that wrangler might patrol the length of the line if the track widened or someone needed help.

I loved it. I had my hat and bp and I was riding Western in beautiful surroundings. But for the tourists who had never ridden before, I dont feel it was a happy way to learn how to trot.

Reactions: Nierva
It isnt clear to me whether we are talking about sitting trot (Western) or English rising trot, called posting in USA.

But I recommend group trail rides, if properly and safely run. OH and I went on many trail rides when touring in the USA. We were both competent English riders in w t and c, hacking and in the school sitting trot which is needed for Western riding.
Group trail rides in USA went out in single file. This could be disconcerting in that one's horse transitioned to trot when the horse ahead began to trot, and so on down the line. The horse was copying the transition of the ride leader and the customers had no control either to ask for trot or to return to walk.

There were also unsolicited trots. If one was slow negoitiating some obstacle or uneven ground, the horse would trot to catch up the horse in front. Some customers had never been on a horse before and clung onto the saddle horn, leaving the horses to do their job unguided.
Those of us who could ride were usually at the end of the line with just a wrangler behind us, and that wrangler might patrol the length of the line if the track widened or someone needed help.

I loved it. I had my hat and bp and I was riding Western in beautiful surroundings. But for the tourists who had never ridden before, I dont feel it was a happy way to learn how to trot.

Rising trot as my lessons are English. In saying that, the trail rides I've done use Western saddles - I think it is considered easier for inexperienced riders as they have the horn to hold onto.

Rising trot as my lessons are English. In saying that, the trail rides I've done use Western saddles
Thanks for the info. No, dont do rising trot in a Western saddle. But it is good to learn how to do both. Like speaking two languages. OH and i both did that.
Rising in English trot, our RI suggested we lay our hands with the reins on ther shoulder of the horse, either side of the front of the saddle and swing or roll our hips up and forward between our hands. I still often trot that way.
You roll your hips forward, the horse moves forward under you and then you gently sit because the saddle has moved forward to receive your seat.

One doesnt have a horn in English riding, but one can buy a monkey strap or grab strap to buckle across the two small rings at the front of the saddle. I bought one for the horse I share after the RI's horse spooked and ran off during an early hack. I prevented Ella following the ther horse but was almost thrown from the saddle as I turned her. I realise now that it was a stupid buy as my reactions are too slow to grab that strap. But it does come in handy when I dismount.

I would say it is if you can stay balanced with the horse for a sufficient length of time. Obviously, the more you ride the better you will become. I was going to say as long as you don't fall off but nah, that wouldn't have been helpful. It goes without saying that if your muscles tire, then you are less likely to stay in balance, so then take a break. It's odd but I don't even remember my early lessons as a beginner otherwise I could be more helpful.

newrider.com