What do you reccomend to clean your tack

Puzzle and Me

Apr 9, 2007
Using Jeffries at the moment but don't really like it, got a squeeky saddle, it's an Albion jump, is this cos it need's oiling does anyone know? What that stuff in the brown tubs? Any good?

Elbow grease. :D

Coming from a synthetic-saddle owner, thats the limit to my knowledge :p

i dont like the sprays, find it makes the tack sticky.

I use renapur saddle cleaner
http://www.renapur.com/balsam.htm

I use the one in the small pot, have always used it and love it. Mind you i strip clean my tack everytime (take it all apart) and iv never had to oil any of it!

The hand cream is pretty good too!!
ETA - i know its expensive but iv had 2 pots in 4 years.....

i use hot water with a squirt of washing up liquid to rinse my cloth then belvoir glycerine soap (carr, day and martin I think)
then i use neatsfoot oil or the one in the blue tin- depends what we buy

i also (shock horror) use a flat knife to scrape the grease off (if there is alot)

I've also just bought an Albion jump saddle and have given it a good clean with Effax Lederbalsam. It really helps to supple the saddle, but needs to be well rubbed in.

I used to only use gel like coachalene and neats foot but i find that if you do it often then it tends to attract dust and it can make the saddle feel greesy and sticky...what i use now on my show tack and all tack really is saddle soap!, it conditions as it cleans and makes it supply, shiny, non-greasy and some can help with water proofing as well. I would recommend all saddle soaps but the neatsfoot soap is good too!:)
xx

Another vote for saddle soap here. Cleans and shines without making tack slippery or sticky.

If it's starting to dry out then I stick it in a plastic bag covered in neatsfoot oil and leave it somewhere warm. Comes up a treat then.

saddle soap, wipe eveything over first with warm water then clean it with soap, i just use the bar, make sure you get all the grease off or it will just destroy your leather. i do oil one of my saddles as it is older only on the off side of the leather, however the new one i am just going clean it with soap all the time to ensure it doesnt dry out

small child - you can bribe them with a crunchie - but you do have to lower your standards lol - sorry got frivilous then - friend of mine bougth me some fantastic leather food from a biker rally - you can buy it in biker shops

Saddle soap for me too. My bridle is now 20 years old and apart from a bit of stitch replacing its as good as new, if fact its better as its lovely and supple. Gets cleaned once a week and a good soaking in neats a couple of times a year or if it gets really wet.

Carr day and martin saddle soap, the stuff that comes in the tins :) then i use jeffries leather care.

I use medidine (surgical wash) and hot water to rub over the tack first and remove any grease and grime, then rub in a load of belvoir saddle soap which really makes the tack supple and shiny. :)

newrider.com