What do you think is the smallest I can ride

Well Im 5'7" and I thought I should have a proper horse and one OH could also ride so got a nigh on 17hh hunter. Hes lovely but 2 years ago I got a 3yo Haflinger filly and with RI broke her in ourselves and shes now 14.2 and 5 years old and honestly is my absolute horse of a lifetime.

So I would say, get the height you like best not what peeps think you should ride. Anything other than a very light or TB type of 14.2 or over should be able to carry a 5' 5" lady no problem.

And bear in mind, today I was riding out on the moors and not only did we have to scramble up a hill, but also get off to open a gate and then get back on again from the ground......no chance of that with the jolly bay giant boy!!!

I am also 5'5" and I own a 14.2 and a 14.3 which I feel most comfortable on but in various yards where I have worked, I have ridden anything from 11.2 upwards. I don't actually feel too safe on this small as there is nothing in front of you but if the pony is chunky, then I am happy on a 12.2 upwards

i'm 5'7.5" and ride 2 arabs, both 14.2hh - i do feel leggy on them from time to time but it depends what i'm up to. i do feel more comfortable on something that takes my leg up more but i do ride very long.

Hi. I find 14.2 is a perfect height. I'm 5'4" & a 16.3 would look big with me perched on it! Saying that i do ride any size horses/ponies.
Currently re-schooling a 13.2 for someone & he feels a nice size. Even if he gets a buck in he's not too small despite the front end disappearing!

I'm 5'7/8, have very long legs and used to comfortably ride and jump a 14.1 pony. He wasn't particularly cobby either and had absolutely no problems carrying me.

When I was looking to buy my own I wasn't even considering anything over 15.2 and I now have a 15h HW cob - I prefer the wee, chunky ones!:D

I'm 5'5 and fit quite happily on my 12.2hh pony. I wouldn't go any smaller than her, but you look great lemon03's pony. Maybe work upwards from there depending on what you feel comfortable with?

im 5'10 :eek: (possibly a bit more :eek:) and im riding a 14.3 welsh cob
addmitatley im quite( ;) ) leggy lol but not too heavy , so ive finally admitted that i dont look like a giant (had a few weeks / month or two at the begginin when i felt awfull cause fought i must have been huge on him )
so really i think its what u feel safe and confortable for you both
( i was sure 7 months ago that i would never ride anything smaller than 16hh , this was when i had a 17.2 3/4 thoroughbred:rolleyes:) teehee still makes me chuckle when i think i went from a thoroughbred ex-eventer to a welsh cob

Last edited:
I'm 5'6 and have a 12.2 Exmoor. It really does depend on the pony's build. My Exie is really chunky and takes up my leg really well, but I've had photos on taller ponies of a finer build and my legs look really long. I think the native pony breeds are great for adults as they tend to be wide and sturdy, although Darties and Shetties are probably a bit too small. I was determined to get a pony and I'm so glad I did - if you want to ride a pony then go for it!

I'm 5'6 and weigh 8st.
+ ponio is.... 14hh tops - just posting a pic example. HOWEVER, I wouldn't worry about your height, just keep your weight in mind.

*very* peculiar pic I know! Funny angle, funny expressions for the both of us! :rolleyes::p

DSC03160.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

Hi,

I'm 5'10 weigh 9st and regularly ride and jump 2ft+ a 13.2hh. I can just about touch my feet under his belly when I ride him bareback though :)

I can also get away with a couple of the 13hh we have, and have recently had a wee shot on our 12.1hh, which was very odd!!

Sarahann

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and I weigh more than anyone else has admitted to so far!! My RS always put me on ID/Warmblood 16.2 + horses but my own horse is 'only' 14.3/15hh and I've also ridden my friend's 13.3hh Fell

If it can take your weight and you're both comfortable, nothing's too small. People's (mis)conceptions about horse size are more about aesthetics than anything else imo.

I'm 5'11'', weigh about 9 1/2 stone and have a 36.5'' inside leg and i still ride ponies :D! Tis all about weight, not height, and as i only ride native ponies they're OK carrying my weight - as long as you don't mind looking silly and both you and the pony are comfy it doesn't matter too much on height :).
Pic of me on flony_pony's Flo - who's 13.3hh (possbily scraping 14hh :p!)

snipped.jpg
[/IMG]

I looked a bit of a wally but she didn't struggle with me at all -in fact she whizzed about at midday on one of the hottest days we've had this year and never seemed like i was squishing her :) - like i said, as long as you're comfy and so is the pony you shouldn't have a problem with height :).

Last edited:
Im 5ft 6 whn I was younger I rode 14hh ponies, I prefer ponies (not as far to fall)
I used to feel very vulnerable perched on a 16hh+ horse! Now i have no choice as Im 11 stone and a wee bit:eek:
ponies are wiping there brows lol:D

newrider.com