What does everyone do with your muck

pebbles82

Sep 15, 2004
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what you do with your muck when you keep your ponies at home. Is there anywhere you can take it? or would you have to find a farmer to pick it up.

Any help would be much appreciated

:p

Hi

Can't really help with this as we have only owned our yard for 10 months and as yet the muck heap is growing and not rotted yet. We have a local farmer who provides all the fertilizer for the coundil for their plants, etc. So we are hoping he will pick it up at some stage. If not give it free to local allotment owners.:p

we live on a farm so are lucky that we can get it spread for us on their fields.

A previous yard we organised a friendly farmer to take it once a year. So built a muck heap in the meantime.

Some time ago we used to bag it up and let people take it away as compost. But you need a lot of keen gardeners locally for that to work.

We are lucky and have people near by that sell muck so we fill a tipping trailer and then empty it at their yard each week.

When I was younger we used to have two men come and collect the muck - they had allotments and must have sold it too. You could try putting a sign up near allotments free to collector.

One of my friends hired a skip which is replaced weekly but she has to put the muck in bags I think it is quite an expensive way to do it.

We put 90% back on our garden and the rest goes to a friend who has an allotment - I fill the horse trailer and take it down to him.

We found that it was quite difficult to get rid of it privately and many farmers don't want it either.

However, if you establish the muck heap, put is somewhere acessible as you can always get in a muck removal comapny to come in with a grabber lorry and take it all away.

lol.Where our yard is just down the lane there is a massive bomb hole so we just fill it in with our muck.its absolutely massive.Our yard is down a lane called bombers lane because we have loads bomb holes down it.You could always put it in a large container or truck and then wait for it to rot then sell ti as manure.Thats what we used to at our old yard.

Gabrielle, just a tip if you are interested, if you can get hold of old carpet and cover a section / or all of the heap it will rot a lot quicker. Some fertilizer people only take it when it is so far decomposed and this means you can get rid of it quicker

Originally posted by vjwuk
Gabrielle, just a tip if you are interested, if you can get hold of old carpet and cover a section / or all of the heap it will rot a lot quicker. Some fertilizer people only take it when it is so far decomposed and this means you can get rid of it quicker

That is really interesting, thanks I think I will try that.:p :p :)

newrider.com