What Does Everyone Feed Their Barefoots??

welshcobz

Feb 28, 2006
Hi all

Hoping the shoes are coming off my little mare this week!!

Just wondering, what does everyone feed their barefooted friends including supplements (want to have the correct things ready for optimum performance!)

At the mo, our diet is very simple -

Economy cubes
High Fi
Black Sunflower Seeds

Was thinking of sticking to this with the addition of magnesium but am very open to suggestions! Many thanks again.

Baileys lo cal, magnesium and fibrebeet when they drop a bit of weight.

Don't think i am feeding enough magnesium though, or if i am it's not doing much. J's hoof growth is painfully slow. I don't bother with the magnesium for dylan, he just gets the lo cal.

Dolly and Dilly are on Hi Fi Lite, Bailey's Lo Cal, Speedi Beet, Mint and CalMag. However I've just bought a seaweed and rosehip supplement from a seller on Ebay and am going to use it instead of the CalMag and see if it makes a difference...

I feed my lad Dengie good-doer, Spillers high fibre low calorie cubes and no supplements at present as i still haven't got round to ordering it!!

I've just been on a barefoot and Simple foods system seminar so was thinking might switch to their Ruffgrass and blue bag grass pellets but not sure yet as he doesn't get fed enough.

:)

1/2 scoop of economy cubes
Couple of scoops of chaff
1 small cup of farrier's formula

3 tonnes of haylage:D

Nothing special because he is barefoot;

Spillers Response (competition mix to wake him up)
Loads of Hay

But he has lovely hard feet and took to being barefoot pretty easily :)

Mixture of Simple System Greengold, Luciebix and Endurocomplete, plus Speedibeet, Equimins Hoofmender, Magnesium Oxide, Cortaflex and Salt.

Roxy - LoCal, Safe & Sound, tiny bit of kwikbeet (half scoop), salt.
Jay - LoCal, Safe & Sound, kwikbeet (whole scoop), salt.
Mia - LoCal, Safe & Sound, kwikbeet (2-3 scoops), Gastri-X, joint supplement, salt.

Don't think i am feeding enough magnesium though, or if i am it's not doing much.

How much are you feeding?

I never found magnesium did anything at low doses, but even doing nothing is better than what happened at higher doses.. Giving the dose recommended by EP made Roxy too quiet (like miserable quiet rather than just not a drama queen) and more likely to get LGL, Mia grumpy as h*ll and gave sophie the squits! And still did nothing to help the feet :rolleyes:

well its certainly not making him calm! not that he's a total loon, but no better
or worse than normal! i give him a small scoop (i think its from the seaweed and rosehip he used to have) of heavy mag ox.

Yann - have you had good results with hoofmender? it was on my list of things to try but never got round do it:rolleyes:

I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but the real test will be when the spring grass arrives and the growth since both horses started on it hits the ground, which should be round about the same sort of time. Watch this space :)

She WAS getting free choice hay and pasture, til the pasture got covered with snow and ice....and about a pound of Buckeye Gro N Win every 2-3 days. On that, her hooves (draft feet, so big hooves) grew out about halfway between July and now. She was just switched to Buckeye Trifecta (about 2 pounds per day) and hay 3 times per day. I'm interested to see if there's any change.
No other supplements, unless you consider treats, which I don't. (they're not noted as supplemental, or vitamin packed or anything)

Speedibeet, Equimins Hoofmender, Magnesium Oxide, Cortaflex and Salt
Me too, without the cortaflex :) Oh and 23 hours a day grass.

I've only started on the hoofmender, so it's a bit wait and see (and it strongly reminds me of TopSpec Comprehensive which sent Jackson into orbit).

Hve just stopped with the luciebix, as I don't think it agrees with his feet :rolleyes:

THe hoofmender is not because his feet are bad, they are very nice - but one front developed a sand crack last summer which just won't go away. It's just hitting the ground now and I can see it's not as deep as it looks, but I still want it gone :D Would like slightly faster growth too...

newrider.com