what does everyone think??

terricowie1234

golden oldie
Mar 29, 2007
dover,kent, uk
ive neen riding a 15.2 arab now for 7 years shes now at the age of 23 and the owner is moving to cornwall (im in kent) and shes letting me have her on permanent loan until her last days! she has plenty of years left in her yet as when out hacking she thinks shes a 5 year old lol, im getting her on the 5th of may. shes normally fed on pony nuts and chaff, but i think with her getting older she needs a bit more, does any one know what feed is best and supplements (she and a knee injury 8 years ago but shes been sound ever since i started riding her, and vet gave all clear for her to be hacked out 4-5 times a week and some schooling. any ideas???
sorry to waffle on ( i will post loads of piccies when i get her to my yard!!:D

What makes you think her feed needs changing? Is she loosing condition? Will you be changing any other parts of her routine? Turnout, exercise etc?

Remember if you change her diet to do it slowly, horses digestive stystems are notorious sensitive!

her condition isnt fab but i would like to improve it! she has a problem keeping shoes on ( so wondered if there was any supplements for healthy hoofs) and just with her getting on abit i want her to get all the vitamins an mineals she needs to keep her in tip top condition really. nope she will be turned out every day and brought in at night, and excersised 3-5 days a week hacked out walking and trotting and the occasional canter

Good luck with her, what a great oppoutunity for you! The owner must certainly respect you, and know the horse will be in good hands.

If you say the horse is quite lively I wouldnt bother with upping the feeds as you may have a time bomb on your hands! There are veteran mixes out..however I am not to well up on them all. I always think you cant go wrong to ensure adlib hay if lack of grazing or in stable. Fibre Fibre Fibre!!!Always ensure theres a bit left in the morning, so you know they havent gone hungry overnight.

Biotin is good for feet

edited as crossposted with response ...

Ignore above! If the pony is lacking in condition he is of course lacking something. I would get his teeth checked to, to ensure he is chewing properley etc, espeically with him being older they do start to loose a few teeth! My old boy lived till he was 34! He only had a few teeth and he had to have everything very sloppy!!

I used to feed him on Sugar beet/Hi-fi and a veteren mix. He also had oils added to his feed. These days there is so much on the market now defo worth looking round or calling up a nutrionist.

Last edited:
You may get a better response in the Health Section...It is worth looking into changing her feed and making sure she gets the vitamins and minerals she needs in her more mature years...:D Well done you for enquiring about it.:)

thanks for every ones replies, shes in God condition, but shes lacking the glowing coat (maybe due to her age) but would like something to help improve this as she does look very good for her age! her teeth are fine at the moment as dentist and vet were out 2 weeks ago when i signed contracts etc to make sure she was healthy and sound and to make sure she didnt need any medication etc, as she was coming to live with me to retire as she has competed up until she was 16 until she had her knee injury, but the vet said theres no reason why she cant have a nice hack out 3-5 times a week to loosen her up abit! i just want to spoil her and give her LOOOOOADS of tlc!!
(DOES ANY ONE HAVE A LICKIT BALL FOR SALE? AS IVE GOT THELICKITS BUT NO BALL LOL ASTHERE WERE REDUCED HEHE) PM ME

Last edited:
We had Fizzy on the Senior Maintenance mix, believe it may have been a spillers mix. And for Feet, Biotin! I sed it for Manny and his feet are coming along really well!

Spillers actually do two types of Senior mixes, but I found they were really good for Fizzy

Heres the link *Hopefully* Spillers

Edited to say!! Congratulations!!! :D

I found Senior conditioning mix senior mix pretty good and also Old Faitful Special Blend, although I did find that that one was heavily molassed which I wasn't keen on.

Also try swapping the chaff (which has very little nutritional value) to something like Alfa oil/lite/a as this is very good for horses and can really help with bloom :D

i didn't start addin anything extra until last year. my mare was 29 last year and there wasn't enough grass for her, to get weight on i was recommended (and it worked) cooked flaked barley and soya oil. the oil helped the coat condition too. up until then she was fed speedi beet or soaked shreds and happy hoof chaff. she'll be thirty this time next month and i'm hoping the grass will start coming through as that's what got most of her weight on.
you may find that your horse doesn't lose the teeth but they may just start drifting apart in a later years :D

good luck and congrats!

Hi Terrie,

I have the Likit tongue twister ball that you screw to the wall (room for 2 little likits) Unused and in box, though all opened and box is a bit battered. PM me if you are interested.

you could try a vetran mix it may help her feet also?! i have a 22 year old standardbred whos teeth arnt too good but hes always been full of beans although a little lean. last year he had bad colic :eek: (due to not being able to chew his hay properly)so iv not got him on spillers high firbercubes and dodson and horrell 16+ . hes thrived on it his coat is healthy(it always had a good shine anyway)the farrier comments on the condition of his feet (though hes always had fairly good feet)and hes much happier oh and fatter!!:D

newrider.com