What Does "Older Riders" Mean?

and we can compare what bits no longer work that did when we were "younger riders"

So if you are a "older rider" just starting out and find something difficult us "older riders" who have been riding a long time can reassure the new comer that those bits don;t work anymore anyway and not to worry. Generally we have worked out a way round things.

I agree with Skib. I first sat on a horse 8 years ago, at the age of 60. I find what Wally said reassuring - bits of me are stiff and arthritic and consequently my mounting and dismounting are rather slow and embarrassing, and not improving over time! One of the joys of riding I find - I could never run that fast!

Reactions: Jayne
I classed myself as an older rider when I began having regular lessons aged 34. Prior to that I'd not ridden since childhood - and even then it was only the odd hack. I am now an even older rider:p aged 45 - soon to be 46:D I was and still am rubbish at most sport. Why I thought I'd be nimble and balanced enough to ride is beyond me:rolleyes: But I muddle through. Pootling is my special field of expertise.:D

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
Ive ridden from been a child and was lucky enough to grow up on a farm, I am 36 now so would like to think I'm sensible and not as wreck less as I once was, I used to compete a lot as a child, teens,20s but now with children in tow, I'm very happily enjoying hacking, schooling, the odd local show and a bit of PC with my daughters so I do feel Im a older rider now but I'm a very happy being a older rider. x

I'm an older rider who is attempting to re-find my youthful confidence and silliness!! So I identify more with the 'Adults Who Ride Ponies' category. Not in a 'close to the ground in case I fall' sense, nor a 'easy to mount for creaky bones' sense. But in a 'cheeky, bouncy, fun, keep me on my toes' sense :p

@KP nut that's exactly what I love about my cob he is just a overgrown 14.2hh, he has a pony brain in a 15.1hh body. He's got enough spark and cheekiness to be fun but has a lovable pony personality, no nastiness just a huge dose of cheekiness:)

Having ridden all my life, a couple of years ago, following the death of my 26 year old Warmblood gelding, Freddie, who came to me at the age of five months, I bought a two-year-old New Forest pony, Hollybrooke Jackson. Having reached the age of 60, I felt the downsize was a sensible measure.

I backed Jackson myself last year, when he was 3 and am now schooling and hacking him. I must say that, delightful as he is, Jackson is far more of a challenging character than were most of my horses. He's very bright and athletic and would run rings around me if I let him! For as long as I can remember, I've always backed and trained my horses - and sometimes for others too. In my head I feel absolutely no different from the way I felt in my early years. The only difficulty I find now is in dismounting quite as easily as I used to. :)

Last edited:
That's reassuring. I'm only 45 and also like backing my own. But after still aching from a high speed unscheduled dismount a few days ago, I was wondering if I was a bit too old for this game. But maybe not!

Reactions: Clipclop89
newrider.com