what have i done expresive private lesson

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
i just booked a private lesson because the riding school told me i would need to be canter before i can go into a group lessn but havent paid yet so not sure i should really go thugh with i dontit know if i have the money fr that

Is this a different school? Maybe it will be like an assessment lesson? Well, if it's booked go for it:)money well spent if you enjoy - hopefully you will.

If you don't have the money then cancel the lesson.

Is this at the same school you've been riding at? Why can't they teach you canter in your normal group, if they don't then how is anyone ever going to progress? I'm slightly surprised that you aren't cantering given how long you've been riding there, you shouldn't need a private lessons to learn how. Which brings up another issue - even if they promise to let you canter in a private lesson one lesson isn't going to make you competent in that pace and I'd guess isn't going to be enough to move you up a group.

If you're ready to canter then I'd push for it to be covered in your normal lesson. Has the RI ever given any reason why it isn't?

Is this a different school? Maybe it will be like an assessment lesson? Well, if it's booked go for it:)money well spent if you enjoy - hopefully you will.

If you don't have the money then cancel the lesson.

Is this at the same school you've been riding at? Why can't they teach you canter in your normal group, if they don't then how is anyone ever going to progress? I'm slightly surprised that you aren't cantering given how long you've been riding there, you shouldn't need a private lessons to learn how. Which brings up another issue - even if they promise to let you canter in a private lesson one lesson isn't going to make you competent in that pace and I'd guess isn't going to be enough to move you up a group.

If you're ready to canter then I'd push for it to be covered in your normal lesson. Has the RI ever given any reason why it isn't?
No i moved i have stuggled to find a riing school thats reasoanabe i thought i did but i can't get hold of them

This sounds normal to me.
My grandchildren rode at a RS where everyone went into group lessons that didnt cost a lot.

The first group the children were led round. When they could ride without a person leading the horse they moved up to class 2.

When they could ride rising trot and were ready to canter, each child was asked to take a private lesson, just like you.
When a person rides canter for the first time it is best if they are in a private lesson without other students.With a teacher taking care of you on your own, you get the idea of canter and feel safe. and your horse cannot upset other horses if it isnt entirely under control.

If you havent enough money, the best thing is to save up enough money for the private canter lesson by missing one or two group lessons.

After having their first canter in a private lesson, most of the children then, moved into Class 3. But at that school you cant move up into class 3 (where they walk trot and canter) until you have had your first canter in a lesson on your own.

This may sound strange to people in the country or who learned to ride with more money for lessons. But the idea here in London is to let as many people as possible learn to ride. It can indeed take years carthorse for some children to master canter, but as they get older they earn (group) lessons by working on the yard at weekends. The kids learn to handle horses (some go on to do the BHS Exams) and those quickest to master canter dont necessarilly end up the best riders.

Skib your experiences are totally different to mine, and I didn't have a horsey background. Canter was taught in normal group lessons, it's just another pace after all, and it didn't take years to do it. Indeed I wonder if there was a deliberate element of not turning it into a big deal because even all these years later I remember being told to hold the saddle with one hand, ask in a corner and relax because it would be easier than trot. We learned on safe school ponies who knew their jobs, they weren't going to set off because one cantered and all would respond to the ri's voice so no worries about going back to trot. To be honest I wouldn't expect any horse to set off just another catered, but in a school horse it would be unforgivable.

Canter is just another pace, turning it into a big deal does no one any favours.

Reactions: Jessey
This sounds normal to me.
My grandchildren rode at a RS where everyone went into group lessons that didnt cost a lot.

The first group the children were led round. When they could ride without a person leading the horse they moved up to class 2.

When they could ride rising trot and were ready to canter, each child was asked to take a private lesson, just like you.
When a person rides canter for the first time it is best if they are in a private lesson without other students.With a teacher taking care of you on your own, you get the idea of canter and feel safe. and your horse cannot upset other horses if it isnt entirely under control.

If you havent enough money, the best thing is to save up enough money for the private canter lesson by missing one or two group lessons.

After having their first canter in a private lesson, most of the children then, moved into Class 3. But at that school you cant move up into class 3 (where they walk trot and canter) until you have had your first canter in a lesson on your own.

This may sound strange to people in the country or who learned to ride with more money for lessons. But the idea here in London is to let as many people as possible learn to ride. It can indeed take years carthorse for some children to mas
ter canter, but as they get older they earn (group) lessons by working on the yard at weekends. The kids learn to handle horses (some go on to do the BHS Exams) and those quickest to master canter dont necessarilly end up the best riders.

its a new school its just they basiclly don't have any grup lessons below that level for some reaason i thought alll schools had beginger group lessons

its a new school its just they basiclly don't have any grup lessons below that level for some reaason i thought alll schools had beginger group lessons
Depends if they have enough beginners to make up a group I suppose :)

My experience was like @carthorse learning to canter was just part of normal group lessons on the yards I helped at as a kid, if you were desperate to progress faster, or to catch up with a friend in a higher group you would opt for private lessons.

@RayRay cancel the lesson if you can't afford it, but if you can it will likely be money well spent as long as you are clear at the start about exactly what your expectations are for the lesson, by that I mean if you want to canter make sure the RI on the day knows that because when they do a dozen lessons a day they can forget what was discussed when you booked the lesson weeks before and if they only did what you are already comfortable with you might leave feeling very disappointed.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com