What insurance/breakdown cover is needed for an IW 510 trailer in addition to car insurance please?


New Member
Apr 15, 2018
As per the title, and as I'm a newbie to all of this, what insurance/breakdown cover is needed for the trailer in addition to car insurance/breakdown cover please?

Many thanks for all advice.


Well-Known Member
Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
There is no insurance legal requirement but breakdown cover specific to horses is advisable (RAC, AA etc. won't touch a vehicle with horses on generally and certainly won't recover you should you need it), as is insurance for theft of the trailer (obviously when you aren't towing it) :) If you haven't towed horses or stock before I would certainly advise getting someone to teach you, driving like you normally would (with a car or static load trailer) could well result in stress and injury to the horse, it needs different considerations.


With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
As per @Jessey no legal requirement for either. I do not have mine insured as it is kept on an Air Base so very secure if I total it myself then I would have to pay for the damage but obviously if I am hit their insurance should cover it (if they any!!!)

As for recovery that I do have and would never travel with out it. you need to google horse box recovery for a list of recovery companies
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
cobbychic Horsebox insurance with breakdown cover Transport and Travelling 5
eventerbabe horsebox insurance and breakdown cover General 8
Native Lover Trailer and breakdown insurance. Transport and Travelling 6
Snowyboy breakdown insurance trailer Transport and Travelling 4
Jessey Income protection insurance Cafe 8
Doodle92 Thumbs up for insurance company Cafe 14
L Insurance Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 4
diplomaticandtactful Insurance Cafe 6
Jessey Insurance companies Cafe 10
K Does insurance pay for a blown engine? Transport and Travelling 8
L Anyone good with rabbit insurance? Cats, Dogs and other Animals 2
Loveslayla Insurance Cafe 1
Jessey Rant about insurance Cafe 17
F Insurance - am I being a bit dim? Please help! Cafe 14
Star the Fell Public liability insurance Cafe 15
Jane&Ziggy Insurance for a youngster Cafe 11
Ale Insurance question Cafe 4
chunky monkey If horse isn't vaccinated no insurance if it gets flu Cafe 8
Ale Insurance options. Cafe 12
T Insurance Cafe 0
Bodshi Insurance Again - Updated Cafe 18
Bodshi Insurance - well that backfired Cafe 22
Lissie To keep or cancel insurance? Cafe 10
N Insurance, anyone else get a nice surprise? Cafe 6
Calder Riding School riders- do you have personal insurance? Cafe 6
L Insurance question Cafe 7
L ways to save on insurance!! Cafe 30
Star the Fell Insurance question Cafe 13
L Bloody insurance companies!! Cafe 8
HorseHelen Feeling deflated .... insurance grrr Cafe 21
tikkitti Best rider only insurance? Cafe 6
Jessey Insurance....again Cafe 2
CharliesAngel insurance Cafe 0
EBox Horse share & insurance First Timers 5
Ale What are your horses insurance exclusions? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 21
L Insurance? In or Out? Cafe 37
MrC Why I think third party insurance should be compulsory for all road users!!!!!! Cafe 27
J Rider insurance Cafe 6
C Rider Insurance - who, where? Cafe 7
U Insurance Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 6
chunky monkey Insurance cover when someone has a ride on your horse Cafe 7
Jessey Rider only insurance reccomendations Cafe 5
showing ponies Help!! Horse insurance Horse Care 1
Frances144 Insurance For Working Abroad with horses Cafe 10
Samantha Insurance Company Recommendations please Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies 19
popularfurball Cancelling insurance? Cafe 14
L Insurance companies Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 7
L who doesnt have insurance for their horses? Cafe 12
squidsin Trailer insurance Transport and Travelling 6
MrsH Insurance advice First Timers 11

Similar threads