What insurance/breakdown cover is needed for an IW 510 trailer in addition to car insurance please?

Jowebbdog

Apr 15, 2018
As per the title, and as I'm a newbie to all of this, what insurance/breakdown cover is needed for the trailer in addition to car insurance/breakdown cover please?

Many thanks for all advice.

There is no insurance legal requirement but breakdown cover specific to horses is advisable (RAC, AA etc. won't touch a vehicle with horses on generally and certainly won't recover you should you need it), as is insurance for theft of the trailer (obviously when you aren't towing it) :) If you haven't towed horses or stock before I would certainly advise getting someone to teach you, driving like you normally would (with a car or static load trailer) could well result in stress and injury to the horse, it needs different considerations.

As per @Jessey no legal requirement for either. I do not have mine insured as it is kept on an Air Base so very secure if I total it myself then I would have to pay for the damage but obviously if I am hit their insurance should cover it (if they any!!!)

As for recovery that I do have and would never travel with out it. you need to google horse box recovery for a list of recovery companies

newrider.com