what is a pee wee bit

I use one for my cob and he loves it. Think he likes the sweet iron taste.:giggle: I bought it after doing a lot of research on it and reading comments from people who use/had used them. The main reason I bought it was to give me more brakes if needed. He is ridden on a loose rein but has been known to set off when spooked despite him being well schooled. Just a normal reaction for him, but unlike my mare who will jump in the air but not set off his first reaction was to run. He has been much better in this bit and I only use it on the normal snaffle ring and not on the lower ones. The lower rings are recommended for strong horses when eventing, which I won`t be doing!! One word of caution though is the sizing. They only come in two sizes and although going off the info it seemed he would need the small size I bought the large size as lots of people had said the size they bought was too small. I am glad I did as the large size is a perfect fit.

hmm sounds something that could be good for me as ive been researching possible bits for my cob when out hacking as his first instinct is run first, think later if something he is unsure of, and is currently not listening to his french link bit outside the school, could also do with bit more breaking power

I should think your cob probably doesn't like your French link very much because most cobs have low palates and fat tongues, and the link will almost certainly push down on his tongue.

My friends cob uses a kimblewick which is ported and I have a Rockin S raised snaffle which has a broken port and is sweet iron. Both bits are for fat tongued, low palate horses.

Good luck, bitting is a minefield!!

I should think your cob probably doesn't like your French link very much because most cobs have low palates and fat tongues, and the link will almost certainly push down on his tongue.

My friends cob uses a kimblewick which is ported and I have a Rockin S raised snaffle which has a broken port and is sweet iron. Both bits are for fat tongued, low palate horses.

Good luck, bitting is a minefield!!

Some people say kimblewick's may not work as it is not a jointed bit, so if the horse is a leaner then they could just grab the bit and pull down

I wouldn't think very much would stop any horse if it wanted to go, but I would think if they are comfortable in their mouth, you have a better chance of them actually listening to you, rather than trying to evade a bit that is either painful or uncomfortable. Horses will quite often lean into pain, which is where you see horses with very harsh bits and blood and foam being spat everywhere.

Not that I am saying a French link is harsh! But if it is not the right shape for the horse, it will be uncomfortable.

Some people say kimblewick's may not work as it is not a jointed bit, so if the horse is a leaner then they could just grab the bit and pull down

Surely that depends on the mouthpiece.

The kimblewick refers to the shanks but you can get a number of different mouthpieces with that style of shank.

I am selling a Pee Wee bit if anyone is interested. I was hoping it would suit my Welshie and have to admit she was very quiet in it and had lovely direction but when I asked her for contact she got very stressed, yawned like mad and her tongue was everywhere - so our bit search goes on!!!

newrider.com