What is it about a track?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I reinstated my track today as Sid needs all the exercise he can get and a lot less food! Mattie can graze the middle section during the day, at least for now until he picks up a bit.

I thought Sid would enjoy being able to go all the way around the field and he does. Mattie also likes it, he can keep close to Sid on the other side of the fence and have as much to eat as he wants and company too.

Sid is trotting and cantering everywhere on the track, he seems delighted with it. It seems to make him want to run. What is it about tracks that gees horses up?

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
His great great great great grandad was a racehorse and he has mistaken it for a racetrack?

It hasnt had that effect on my two, but maybe thats because theres hills involved. In fact my two have not been all the way round there track yet. From the pump house infront of the wood, theyve only gone half way and then gone back. Theres some tasty picking further round which is all on the flat but theres some trees overhanging hawthorns and bramble and i think thats why they havent gone yet. Will probably trim them back a bit but i thought the boys might nibble the hawthorns themselves. Guess not.

The endless opening of a track really can draw them through and if you get the width just balanced with the amount of food available it does wonders.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
newrider.com