What is it people love about coloured horses?

desert_storm

Feb 20, 2009
Just wondering, as it seems as though there are loads of coloured horse fans out there. What is it that makes them so desirable to people? Quite a few people I know are obsessed with piebalds, skewbalds etc, and although I think they can be beatiful (as can any colour or breed in my opinion), I don't really understand what it is that makes people go loopy for them!!

:)

Me neither- unless it's something really striking I'm not normally interested. Some of the people on here with coloured heavies have some really gorgeous ones though! :)

I find them very unique because it's rare you see one with exactly the same markings, whereas there are hundreds of lovely big bay beasties.

I think mainly I like coloureds because they often come hand in hand with my first love, wild manes/tails and FEATHERS! :D

I have no idea why people love coloureds so much, they are hard to keep clean! :D.
When I bought Drummer over 14 years ago, they weren't liked then, they were Gypsy horses, Cow ponies, Common Vanners....Now they are loved! I prefered they days when they weren't as popular :D
Caz xxxxxxxx

I love coloured lighter horses, like the TB x's and WBs. Something with really striking markings and flashy paces. I used to have a stunning coloured mare, who was sucessful in the show ring, so I guess I'll always have a soft spot for them.

When I sold her, to buy my current boy, she went to a breeding home, who wanted her purely becuase she would throw coloured foals with lovely looks and flashy paces (if bred with the right stallion of course).

Last edited:
cloud is grey witrh blue and she is so pretty with gorgy subtle blue bits and darker grey in her tail but a cream mane. she also has speclkes on ears. yes she is a pain 2 keep clean but she is so unique and i love it. p.s. i will post pics after our first show!

I don't thin I could actually tell you lol.I just do! :) although I wasnt untill I got Indy I hated any horses either coloured and even more so if they were hairy!:p so I bought this.....
Image024-Copy.jpg

I bought Indy becuase I'd know him for years and he is a lovely horse no so much beucase of his looks and ive just grown to love the coloured hairy type,they can be scruffy,muddy hairy things one day of at a show amazing, gracefull,floaty ones the next:D

vicky
x

I don't thin I could actually tell you lol.I just do! :) although I wasnt untill I got Indy I hated any horses either coloured and even more so if they were hairy!:p so I bought this.....
Image024-Copy.jpg

I bought Indy becuase I'd know him for years and he is a lovely horse no so much beucase of his looks and ive just grown to love the coloured hairy type,they can be scruffy,muddy hairy things one day of at a show amazing, gracefull,floaty ones the next:D

vicky
x

Wow, look at his feathers!! Pretty amazing :)

It's really interesting to hear what other people think.

i like ruby cos she is pretty unique - white all over except for brown head & big brown splodge on hr tummmy - not a good example of a coloured horse but i never mistake another horse for her - went to see arizona at pony school the other night - she is stabled in a row of bay horses & i have to admit it took me a couple of mins to find her [in my defence - i havnt had her very long]

Good question and one for which i've no answer...
Carn was my 1st love hes my handsome cute ginger boy...
And most recently i have brought Jazz my hairy coloured boy...
Carn choose me so got lumbered with him :rolleyes: Jazz i dont know soon as i saw him there was something in that face had to have him

DSC000011.jpg

DSC000851.jpg

A good horse has no color......
Temperament to me, is the most important... honestly do not care what color a horse is.:D

I hated coloureds when I bought my mare! I saw her and wasn't sure! I went back to see her again and bought her! I'd love to have her back but the memories will never fade!
moto_0036-1.jpg

When I was looking for Ellie my main stipulation was that it wasnt a piebald or skewbald but the moment I saw her I knew she was the one and as someone else has commented it was the colour I saw she just radiated this sense of calm which is exactly what I needed after having a bad fall which landed me in hospital and with no confidence. Ive never looked back shes given me so many amazing experiences and I wouldnt swap her for anything.

One of the girls on our yard has a coloured gelding and hes exactly the same theres just something about them when Im around them I feel calm and to look at they just take my breath away now but thats only since Ive owned one never gave them a second look before that and never dreamed Id own one.

festival6.jpg

I can't really pin point out anything bad or wrong to do with skewbalds & piebalds i just really like them i m afraid

Last edited:
I am not aware of being unduly influenced by colour when I look at a horse, but I've owned 3 horses and they have all been piebald or skewbald :eek: Ho hum!

newrider.com