What is the best Lightest weight turnout rug

TiggerthePony

Jan 8, 2008
Devon
My Dartmoor has rainscald, he lives out and has shelter but chooses not to use it! I need to rug him (he has a temproary one on at the moment but it is too thick). Just wondered what you thought was the best lightest turnout rug, and affordable! I literally just need something to prevent the rain hitting his back! As little warmth as possible as he is supposed to be a hardy pony that can live on the moors :p

Hi there. I was in exactly the same position as you with my Welshie. I got him an Amigo lightweight turnout...I call it his kagool! Not too pricey and is worth it's weight in gold.

Horsewear Rhino every single time!

I have an Amigo but the Rhino is even lighter. I think the entire rug (all 6'6 of it) weight about 500g all told. I have never come across such a light rug! It is also 110% waterproof. It's brillant as it is so light it doesn't squash the hair much so they can keep themselves warm.

I don't know if you can still buy them, but Rambo used to do a no-fill sheet (with a string vest type lining) that was excellent. My youngster is wearing one just now that's about 10 years old and despite his best efforts he can't trash it ;) it's also stayed 100% water tight

ive got a shires no fill sheet for kaiser, just to keep him from getting soaked on horrible days then having to stand soaking in his stable, got it from ebay, £15!

newrider.com