What is the best saddle for a fell pony

Moss.fellpony

Jan 4, 2021
Heyyyyyyyyy,
How is everyoneeeeee?? I have a saddle at the moment but it doesn't fit him well. We are looking at ways to improve the current saddle but if that fails would like some advice. Our saddle bounces up and down when I trot and canter. It lifts up at the back and I think it hurts him. Plus, if he puts his head down the saddle slips forward and I have to get off to put it back in the right place. He has started doing this as a way to get me off and have a brake from work??. Any advice as to how to stop it moving around or a brand of saddle we could use, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any and all replies. ?

You need a good saddler out, it's impossible to say a particular brand and size of saddle will fit a certain breed. It does sound like your current saddle doesn't fit at all well though, it's almost certainly hurting him and is unsafe for you. Saddlers are working in lockdown so get one out asap before you end up injured and also have a pony that needs a lot of work on his back and possible behavioural problems.

If you give us a rough idea of where you are maybe someone could recommend a fitter, otherwise look for one who is registered with the Society of Master Saddlefitters. Be prepared to give plenty of details when you book, and be honest about your budget so you don't waste each others time. On the day have the pony in and clean and be ready to ride - don't buy a saddle if a fitter doesn't ask to see you ride in it.

You need a good saddler out, it's impossible to say a particular brand and size of saddle will fit a certain breed. It does sound like your current saddle doesn't fit at all well though, it's almost certainly hurting him and is unsafe for you. Saddlers are working in lockdown so get one out asap before you end up injured and also have a pony that needs a lot of work on his back and possible behavioural problems.

If you give us a rough idea of where you are maybe someone could recommend a fitter, otherwise look for one who is registered with the Society of Master Saddlefitters. Be prepared to give plenty of details when you book, and be honest about your budget so you don't waste each others time. On the day have the pony in and clean and be ready to ride - don't buy a saddle if a fitter doesn't ask to see you ride in it.
Thank you sooooooo much that is all really helpful. We know someone who live near me who uses a good saddle fitter. And that's a good point about the bit chewing as well!!! I hadn't thought of that. When we changed his but he started acting up because he didn't like it so maybe that is his protest for the saddle. Thank soooooo much!!!!! ???

You're more than welcome, and I hope you can get something sorted out that suits you both. As well as being crucial for the horse's well being riding is so much easier for us when the saddle fits :)

Reactions: Moss.fellpony
newrider.com