What Is The Max A Forward Going Strong Stocky 14.2hh Welsh Sectin D Could Carry?

How fit is it? What sort of riding? Long hacks? Jumping?

Beware of exact answers. My advice would be to try it slowly and watch the horse very closely for signs of problems.

Your horse will be the one to tell you, not a bunch of strangers on a forum that doesn't know the horse. :)

Aswell as what Joyscarer says, it will also depend on how capable the rider is. A novice weighing less could cause more problems than a good, solid rider weighing slightly more.

Photos of you and your Cob would help.
Does he take up a lot of leg?

To me.. 14.2 hands is a super tall horse.

I rode 12.3, 13.2 and 13.3 hand tall horses/ponies..none had any problems with my height or weight. I am very careful to listen to them..all are very opinionated and would let me know if they did not like something.

As for weight carrying ability.. depends on the bone and muscle mass of the horse. Tall horses or ponies do not mean they will be able to carry more weight.
My Stout boned wide Icelandic's and Fjords can carry more weight..than my friends 16 hand wide Arab,,another TB and so on.
The Friend with the 16 hand Arab..was... I would say 200lbs.. her Arab was always having back problems. My Fjord who was 13.3 wide and well built never was sore or had any problems with her weight. Granted at most it was a three hour ride in the hills.

So.. it just depends on the build of your cob.. if you listen to them..they will tell you if it is too much.;)

To me,, seeing tall people on short horses is very normal. So much so now..if I see someone on a tall horse.. I think they look out of place and funny.

At least on this side of the pond.. people think taller horses are better...but I think it is just ego getting in the way..and more often than not they are over horsed.

Here is a good link to see people to horse size I think is normal. Can also give this link to your friend. :D
http://www.eidfaxi.is/index.aspx?GroupId=40&TabId=47

Last edited:
About 12-13 stone if it is a very novice rider(just beginning) Hop this helps. If not a novice rider it could probarbly carry quite a bit more!!:D

I am 10 & 1/4 stone and I ride a 14.2 cob He has no problem carrying my weight. You have nothing to worry about at all. The average woman is probably between 10 and 12 stone, and men are more.
Don't forget that cobs are used for carting and used to be used to plough fields they spent most of the day doing this kind of work etc.
You don't say what age the horse is but if he's over 5 then his bone structure should be well developed.

newrider.com