What is the most embarrassing thing that's happened to you horse-wise?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I need some inspiration for a feature I am writing! I am rarely embarrassed myself, when I ride, as I have low expectations and am hugely impressed if we get stuff right, so I can't really draw on my usual stock of personal anecdotes for this one!

There was an incident with white show jodhpurs and the wrong time of the month, but you really don't want to put that in your article :p

I fell off at the first jump in my first affiliated competition which also happened to be a team event and I was the first to go. Jam didn't even leave the ground, he put a stop in and I fell off in front of it. That was pretty humiliating!

Reactions: squidsin
My lack of knowledge has been a bit embarrassing a few times. When we went to have J vetted I asked what the knobbly bits on his legs were. Yep. Chestnuts.:p

Was so keen to get on board for a lesson once I went right the way over and dismounted from the other side. I was keen:D obviously.......

Had to let go of the madam once when we were on a yard. Pathetic I know but I sort of lost her and half the yard staff had to come and rescue me, retrieve her with a bowl of pony nuts and generally pretend I wasn't stupid!

Umm, I have cried plenty of times whilst on horseback but this has been mainly down to lack of confidence/fear/being terrified and I haven't really been embarrassed by this - I'm a person who cannot hide my emotions.

I was pretty embarrassed recently when Ben wouldn't be caught and I lost it with him. Following advice from here I decided to chase him around the field and not let him eat the grass. Unfortunately I didn't consider how emotional/angry this would make me feel and I turned into the crazy lady swearing very loudly at the top of my voice swinging a leadrope around my head shouting something along the lines of "if you want to xxxxing run then you can xxxxing run around this xxxxing field all xxxxing day you xxxxing, xxxxing, xxxxing (etc.) horse". I then went back to the yard as I didn't have my hat on and stormed through the yard shouting "xxxxing, xxxxing horse" and then burst into tears. My RI then stepped out to the field and caught him straight away. We had quite an audience by then as no-one on the yard had heard my swear before ever and here I was turning into a mad woman!

It wasn't my finest moment and I will never act like that again. It made his catching 100 times worse for the next few weeks and it's only now that he is back to normal again.

My last fall - jumping a course on my 4yo, cleared the last fence only to find my 4yo halted in front of a large, sandy, puddle and dumped me right in it. I then had to get changed in the yard into borrowed clothes as mine (including my knickers) were soaked with sandy puddle water!

There was also the time we had our most disastrous dressage test. Ben walked 10 steps backwards when I asked him to go into the arena, and as we went up our centre line he span round and planted facing completely the wrong direction! It really was embarrassing, especially as the judge in an occasional instructor with my riding club and I was trying to impress her.

Reactions: squidsin
Mine has to be taking a rather old and lecherous rider out for a hack when I was still young and mildly attractive- my horse threw in the most enormous buck - being very relaxed and probably showing off what a casual and proficient rider I was - I was launched clean over the top. That I could have lived with - but my jods AND my knickers ending up around my knees as I flew through the air I could not!:oops::eek:

Mine has to be taking a rather old and lecherous rider out for a hack when I was still young and mildly attractive- my horse threw in the most enormous buck - being very relaxed and probably showing off what a casual and proficient rider I was - I was launched clean over the top. That I could have lived with - but my jods AND my knickers ending up around my knees as I flew through the air I could not!:oops::eek:
HA HA HA! I bet he thought he'd died and gone to Heaven!

Mine was probably landing on a gate whilst show jumping, leg either side ( being 5'3 has its drawbacks) as it didnt come of its cups. The course builders lifted the gate down with me on it, I could of died of embarrassment, especially when everyone cheered as the course builders lifted me down. For months after people would say witty remarks when they saw me out it was truly awful, although Im sure to the hilariously funny.x

Reactions: Ruby73
Also another moment I remember was begging my mum for a reversible puffa jacket with snaffles on one side and just navy on the other I must of been about 11 or 12. I was so over the moon I promptly jumped on my pony and went riding round the fields as it was harvest time(everyone else was in t shirts but I was prepared for winter of so I thought) I was so busy admiring my jacket and its inside pockets whilst also trying to ride when my pony spooked and had a dicky fit I managed to not only come off but be dragged quite a distance, thankfully I was fine just bruised and shaken but my jacket was totally shredded, I was distraught but if my mother had realised how stupid I'd been I would of been totally embarrassed.x

oh tonight was quite a good one. Rode Chanter to the back of the yard jumped off my normal angel pony to to the padlock on the gate turned round to see my pride and joy trotting off back to his field. I walked back the 1/2 a mile to the yard only to see my OH and mate running like mad to catch Chanter (by now he had stopped trotting and was stood eating outside his field) but they thought I had been ditched.

Or years ago I was cantering along a nice stretch of moor land when I saw a family up ahead having a picnic. I was wearing a vest top with no bra on I could keep the strap start to fall down but realised it I let up on the reins he would go in to gallop and run them over (we normally gallop this part of the track) or I stick to canter and flash them.... I flashed

Reactions: KP nut and Ruby73
First show trying to jump a hay bale on a very small pony when I had never jumped before. Did a very impressive summersault which was caught on camera, but the pony cleared it!

Fell off the moment I came off the lead rein for the first time ever, pony put his head down for a scratch or to try and eat and I forgot to let out my reins.

When I rode the yard plod/rda horse on my work experience and he kept taking off with me!!

Stupidly getting on ale in the field with no saddle/bridle and he trotted off and I fell straight off.

Numerous times when it is dark at the yard I think there is a murderer in the bushes and ale confirms it by spooking... I eventually muster up some courage and it just turns out to be a bird/ tree.

Falling off halfway over a jump very slowly down the horses side and just sort of hanging there, horse had 2 feet either side of the jump.

Being told by the judge, halfway through a dressage test to 'abandon the test and just come up the centre line'...:oops::oops::oops:
My old mare had done a lovely bit of trot work for me but then decided that she'd done enough. She refused to circle, let alone canter, and we had a very one-side disagreement in the middle of the arena about it until the judge ended my misery.
And my mare actually went up the centre line after refusing to budge for me. I swear she understood every word that people said!

newrider.com