What is this?

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Yard owners elderly horse - is this rain scald? It's on his neck, she thinks Hogan has bitten him, but it doesn't look like a bite to me?Screenshot_20191227-183917_Gallery.jpg

My mare had that last winter I was recommended to use forans M.R.S cream by my instructor It works very well my mares skin was completely batter after using it for a few days .

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
My mare had that last winter I was recommended to use forans M.R.S cream by my instructor It works very well my mares skin was completely batter after using it for a few days.
So was that rainscald she had?

If you pull the hair on the patch does it come away. Does it have any gunk/dry coagulation on the roots. From this picture it doesnt look like scald. Scald starts as a small patch. This looks bigger.
I wouldnt say a bite either.
Where is it on the neck. I think more like rubbing from lice. It looks like what my cows get. You wont see them necessarily with the naked eye. I would suggest a pour on. We treat the cows with noramectin pour on that covers lice. Im sure ive got a cow picture similar. Ill try to find it.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I think It looks like a bite. Peanut came in one day covered in what that looks like I thought rainscald but no puss or scabs left it well alone and all have cleaned up

Rain scald is the same as mud fever, just on the body, you get the gunky scabs that pull off with chunks of fur normally. I'm inclined to agree with @chunky monkey , looks a lot like rubbing from lice, that tends to be drier and scaley (spelling??) with bloody scabs. Bites are generally clean wounds with the hair off.

newrider.com