What is too heavy / bulky?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Following on from newforests thread on what weather we all are prepared to ride in, what do you consider approriate weather worthy gear and do you consider it's extra bulk and weight? I always remember in my early days of horse owning giving thought to how heavy tack is (at one point I had such a strange idea on weight I thought I'd need a destrier or a clydesdale to carry me:rolleyes:). I often give thought to the amount of other items that all contribute to the weight our horses carry. So. Do you actively seek out lighter more technical coats? Or is it something you don't give much thought too? One of the things that prompted this thread was the other evening after doing the horses both Mr T and myself had a soaking and the weight of our wet coats was like:eek: I wouldn't ride in one of my heavier coats, and Mr T chooses a fairly light weight one.
Anyway just interested to hear what everyone thinks on this?

If it's that wet I'm not riding in it.
She lives out without a rug so that's when it's likely lunging, or the bareback pad and twenty minutes schooling.

I have waterproof harry hall trousers and probably the thin kerrits underneath.
Blousen jacket that's not really that heavy.

Both my saddles are lightweight and so are the stirrups. I was surprised how heavy some of those are.

If it's that wet I'm not riding in it.
She lives out without a rug so that's when it's likely lunging, or the bareback pad and twenty minutes schooling.

I have waterproof harry hall trousers and probably the thin kerrits underneath.
Blousen jacket that's not really that heavy.

Both my saddles are lightweight and so are the stirrups. I was surprised how heavy some of those are.

Yes, some stirrups are heavy. Mind you, some medium weight rugs are quite heavy. Then again, it's all about weight distribution, not like their rugs are sat balled up in the middle.

I always opt for the lightest weight fabrics that are less bulky and ones that won't absorb water or dry quicker, it started when I started doing long rides, many of my go to items weighed too much when considered together so I started replacing them with light options to keep my overall pack weight down. Just for general riding I don't worry too much but it's easier to have all light than 2 sets.

I worried about this and was told not to. Maisie and my share took a rider under 10 stone. I was told the addition of my winter clothes was proportionately very small. Especially when the rider is the one they are used to.

Reactions: Trewsers
When I was doing the Kiplingcotes Derby I had to weigh a minimum of 10 stone - and that has to be the rider, you can’t add weights to the horse. I weighed a bit under 9 1/2 stone and I was sure that by the time I got on my winter clothes, coat, boots and body protector I would be up to weight, but I was nowhere near and had to buy some sports ankle weights which I taped together into a belt to go round my waist. Even then the kind guy doing the weigh in put his foot on the scales to help me out a bit :) I couldn’t believe how hard it was to make up the weight.

Having said that, all my clothes were dry!

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
Yes I do worry. In winter i ride in a hi Viz coat and that is bulky. Also my country boots are heavy plus a body protector. I reckon you could add on another stone.
This is why I'm in a quandary now chunkys rider is gone. She was only 7 maybe 8 stone. With my gear i must be 11 stone. She also rode him in her racing saddle. Fortunately she has let me have her treeless saddle which is so much lighter than the ideal I have. But I don't think it's fair for me to ride him, so I've got to find some orher way to exercise.

It would be interesting to weigh one's summer clothes and boots and ones winter ones to know the exact difference. Percentage wise (adding tack and rider) it might be very little.
My first ever hack was in the snow with temperature below freezing and the RI who took me out gave me a good talking too about buying insulating undersocks and getting warm books to avoid breaking bones in ones foot when dismounting.
I think rider safety comes first and a horse that is not capable of carrying 8lbs additional in winter is probably not fit?
It is true that Maisie was fleeter in summer when I weighted less - but we humans walk faster and easier up hill unladed than we do carrying a pack. It doesnt mean a fit person cant carry a rucksack to camp overnight - Schoolchildren do it for the Duke Of Edinburgh's award all the time.

I don't have scales either. Can usually judge my weight on skinnies lol
But all the same, it does make me think. I find my long MH riding boots quite a weight on their own! I am quite mindful of weight - not as much now because Zi is a good match for both of us. I was more aware when madam was still being ridden, due to her stiffness I mithered. But then, that's an entirely different thread - riding them sometimes is like treading on eggshells.

I weighed everything I was carrying for long rides, that was 4 years ago now but from memory it was only a couple of lbs difference from warm weather to cold weather clothing. I was down to shaving grams off items in the end as it did add up for my whole pack (tent, stove, sleeping bag, coats, clean clothes etc.) the toughest thing to pack weight wise was actually food.

Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers
Just adding a random snippet.
But the book- I promise I will start reading once I finish my current one, is that Victorian one.
It mentions the average rider then was 8.5 stone but it didn't know if that included the clothing. Whether it did or not I thought that was fairly heavy considering it's the 1890's lady.
Those saddles were a LOT heavier than today's.

But my summer clothes are not much different. Thinking a few pounds. I have thin kerrits and normal jodphurs for winter. I might add a second pair of socks. The only addition weight wise would be a blousen jacket because I hate jumpers.
I can't do bulky or getting in the way, not that fitted.

Apparently the riders head is meant to be the heaviest part of us, that's why looking down tips your whole body off balance.
I beg to differ, personally I sit on the heaviest part of me. :rolleyes:
And how much you weight kitted up holding the saddle is important but whether you ride heavy or light surely is to?

Yes I do worry. In winter i ride in a hi Viz coat and that is bulky. Also my country boots are heavy plus a body protector. I reckon you could add on another stone.
This is why I'm in a quandary now chunkys rider is gone. She was only 7 maybe 8 stone. With my gear i must be 11 stone. She also rode him in her racing saddle. Fortunately she has let me have her treeless saddle which is so much lighter than the ideal I have. But I don't think it's fair for me to ride him, so I've got to find some orher way to exercise.
How big is Chunky and have you weighed yourself kitted out.
Which treeless as some are better than others?
I weighed in at 10 stone kitted last check. Sniff under with the lighter saddle of the two.

newrider.com