What Is Your Definition Of a Safe Horse And An UnSafe One?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Following on from my own comment

"There are safe youngsters and unsafe ones"

What is your taking on the use of words, for those of you who know what a troubled horse looks like-i would assume you would understand my choice of the unsafe word.

All youngsters are learning, growing, developing, find our world alien to them, our wishes and requirements unhorse like.

My comment is that my youngster is currently "unsafe", based on current behaviour whether that's natural and normal for a horse or not, it is not actually a behaviour i want to take out onto the public highway to see how long i lasted before i need to claim of my insurance!

I would NOT take her out on the roads with the groundwork that is currently in place and the manners or lack of that is not. You'd have to be a complete idiot to want to do so.

I think 'safe' or 'unsafe' is to do with how the horse is generally and also how it reacts to 'crises' e.g traffic, scary noises. If the horse is a fruitloop before any stress is introduced I would class it as unsafe, but also if it is fine until something out of the ordinary happens and then becomes uncontrollable I would class that as unsafe. I suppose that a lot depends on the handler as well - something that is controllable (and therefore safe) for one person might not be for another.

My horse for example I would class as safe because she is generally an easy ride and when something scares her she is more likely to stop and stare at it than to run off or do anything silly. She did once whip round and canter off when a large barking dog appeared suddenly round the corner but pulled up in under a minute and then turned and walked back past it without batting an eyelid!

I think I understand exactly what you mean.

I would class Sioned as a relatively 'safe' youngster and happily take her
out on quiet lanes and roads, and will actually go out of my way to let her meet any Vans, or small Lorries that we come across either moving or
stationary but am always aware that we don't quite
know what we may meet round the next corner. However, at the moment I am trying to keep her within her 'comfort' zones and attempting to make sure that every new experience is a positive one. Exactly the same with Bert.
Sioned is very nosey/enquisitive but Bert is not quite so brave.

TBH Both need more groundwork before I start to take them out and about
in any heavy traffic. Neither have seen a Double Decker Bus to my knowledge as yet or had a large lorry go past them in any close
proximity.

Both my Youngsters have fairly laid back natures, both can and have 'had
a moment' but on the whole they are very easy going. If I had a bit of
a 'stress head' Youngster I would certainly be getting totally to grips with
basics before venturing anywhere other than the relative safety of a Yard
or School and making sure they experience as much as they possibly could within that environment. When Sioned was on my friends farm
I used to take her out and about to have a good look at the tractors etc., let her touch/sniff them and some of the bigger vehicles. I take them both out on a Lungeline so that I have that
extra 'mileage' should something go wrong.

I think Sioned is probably 'safer' than Bert as her curiousity about anything new gets the better of her and after having a little look, few
words of reassurance she is always eager/willing to go and see whatever it is that was 'worrying', whereas Bert takes a lot more
persuasion, he doesn't turn to run, but wants to get past as quickly as possible whereas I always like to encourage them to come and
have a look.

Last edited:
well i suppose a safe horse can turn unsafe when scared...

but there are definite differences between safe horses and unsafe! its just hard to explain!

i also think its about understanding - or miss-understanding! theres a youngster on our yard, the teenager who owns it and been backing it has been having issues - its been rearing, falling over backwards, double barrelling her etc etc ....it is a pretty dominant bolshy mare, but also a misunderstood mare. They have been 'traditionally' backing it in a forcefull way...people have been interfering and saying do it like this like that etc etc....the mare still charges at you etc when attempting to lunge. I walked past the school and the girl looked at me and just said can you help?...well to be honest i dont like getting involved generally but she was really struggling....i took a totally different approach and 'lunged' her my way in a NH way...and straight away the mare understood and behaved like an angel....now im not trying to say i am a super star ... but sometimes horses are naughty when people arent handling them right..... (please dont anyone think i am saying this is the case with every person/horse, it was just what i observed last night with this particular yougster!)

excellent question

Safe - when the unexpected happens the handler/rider can calm/influrence the horse so that no matter what it does it can be controlled and 'brought back down' mentally and phyically in a manner that does not cause harm to horse or handler/rider/on looker

Unsafe - a horse that when the unexpected happens bolts (all the time, not just the one off)/ rears to the point of going over/ double barrow/lunges at the handler on the ground.

But Safe can sometimes only be classed as safe when handled by the right person.

Most people would not ride Chanter as he cat leaps, spins and bucks I think he is safe because I can ride through the issues keep him calm and walk out of each situation he is not trying to get me off he is just scared and this is how that manifest in him, others stop, some turn and run.

I agree that safe for one person is not safe necessarily for another.

Safe generally is a horse that wants to cooperate and listens to its handler/rider after a very quick initial panic ...unsafe is a horse that really does not want to please, dislikes people or panics and blindly reacts because it doesn't trust people.

Safe however to a novice is a very keen to please horse that stops when the rider wobbles, comes to call, virtually puts its own tack on and panic will result in standing still....I have one which is priceless!!

Safe generally is a horse that wants to cooperate and listens to its handler/rider after a very quick initial panic ...unsafe is a horse that really does not want to please, dislikes people or panics and blindly reacts because it doesn't trust people.

I would agree with the above,although on the basis of that it means my fruit loop is actually relatively safe lol

Youngsters probably can't be described as totally safe as there are usually lot's of things they haven't seen or experienced,but if they have the basics already there (a willingness to listen,take direction and be compliant with their handler whatever the circumstances) then there's a good chance they will be safe with enough exposure and education.

I agree with eml's definition really. I think 'safe' is a tricky word to use around horses because they intrinsically aren't!
Predictability can play a big factor as well...I'd class a horse that you know will take a few strides to come back to you once he's spooked as 'safer' than one which doesn't react at all to spooky things 90% of the time but once in a while will put in a big one.

Also, I don't think 'safe' is the same as 'confidence giving'. Rosco is a safe hack as long as you're not on roads because he doesn't DO anything dangerous, ever...the worst you'll get is stop or slowly walk sideways/backwards. But he's not a nice horse to hack because he's absolutely coiled and tense 100% of the ride, looky and inattentive.

I think that it all depends on the handler. My RI can ride any horse and make it look safe and easy. He will get on the horses with the most crazy reputation and they won't put a foot wrong with him. A less confident rider would make the horse dangerous.

It reminds me of when people make comments like 'this horse won't hack alone'. With the right rider, most horses would hack alone, but with an unconfident one the horse may not.

Safe however to a novice is a very keen to please horse that stops when the rider wobbles, comes to call, virtually puts its own tack on and panic will result in standing still....I have one which is priceless!!

This is so true,

All that said - the horse is only as safe as the handler.

Pig can be unsafe. He gets giddy and excited. However, I know when he is in one of "those moods" and he doesnt do any lead rein work as I wouldn't put another persons child at more risk than usual from riding a horse. I know when he is in one of those moods, and can predict him being like this.

Much the same with madam, I can read her body language, I know how far she can be pushed - and whilst she will threaten to bite and kick, I know when it is coming and can remove people/horses accordingly.

For both of mine, I wouldn't have anyone else ride them or work them without me around, as it is my knowledge of their personalities and behaviours that make them safe.

Definitely agree with furball - "the horse is only as safe as their handler" - I have known folk on my old yard who could handle a youngster and take it for a walk around the estate without a problem - let it see traffic, obstacles like wheelie bins etc, but then again, have seen some terribly club-handed handling, where the handler gets dragged all over the shop!
Horses are only safe on the day, in the moment and with someone who handles them effectively. Anything else is just pure chance - eg, I have let my mum handle Storm, but only when she is doped up on grass on a boiling hot day in a quiet area, I wouldn't let her near her in normal circumstances.

Entirely agree.... Can I have the priceless one EML, to come and live with Ed??

Ed would definitely be classed as safe. He's steady, not scared of much, will lead, follow etc. You can put his tack on upside down and he wouldn't care. Goes to sleep when being shod/clipped and loads himself on the trailer :giggle: If you take him to a show or PC rally he lines up with the other ponies and is not at all hyped up by the environment. He also goes to my RI's yard to join the RS ponies for fun days and just joins in!! You put a complete beginner on him too. Out hacking in canter maybe not, as he's quite strong and enjoys a little speed, but in walk/trot a total confidence giver.

In the two years of owning him there's be a few incidents (he once bucked a few times in the school and had my daughter off, he spun on a bridleway and speed with me and chucked me out the side door. He also took off in canter on a hack when a Heron launched itself from nowhere). But, I guess in two years there'll always be an incident or two and there'll always be something that frightens them :smile:

I agree with most of what is said. Especially with the handler, and in different circumstances. But also each horse can change from safe to unsafe quite easily.

I have had my 11 month youngster a few weeks and he has been very calm and safe. He has been for a walk along the road, seen bikes, tractors, things fall over, I have driven my car into the field, he has traveled to the vets been left there, traveled back, walked through a field with sheep, cows and calves etc. He had a fell run go past his field, had dogs barking near him. He hasn't put a foot wrong. The most he has done is stop and take a quick look then carry on at a calm walk. As you can imagine I am ecstatic that this is how he is reacting to new things but I am not counting my blessings because he could turn into an unsafe horse at any moment, anything could trigger that flight instinct.

I suppose I see a horse being safe in 2 ways. One is how deep down their flight and panic instinct lies and one is how respectful they are of the handler. If you have a horse that is very trusting and respectful of their owner and their flight instinct is low then they will be safer than any alternative.

I had an arab here for a while that was so respecting of whoever handled her, a lot more than Rhia. In theory you could put a child with her and she would be as gentle as anything. However she also had her flight instinct right at the front of her mind and anything loud, new, changed would cause her to completely flip out without a care in the world about any human near by. I never trusted her after seeing the way she reacted to certain things without much warning. Rhia is the opposite. She doesn't freak out and is very sensible when scared so even though the majority of the time she can really test a handler, I completely trust her and think she would be more careful about trampling a human. I know this from experience. The arab landed on me in a ditch once whilst being led and freaking and Rhia has jumped over me when I was knocked by another horse and she was chased.

I think if you understand what a horse can take then you know how safe it is going to be in any situation. Holly- very brave, very sensible, I would take her to a carnival with fireworks going off and she would probably enjoy it. Baby Albert- still young, still learning, will let him take life slowly.

I find this one a hard one to answer....because technically speaking both my horses are 'safe' although one is 'interesting and safe'. He isn't unsafe simply because he does try to listen, there is no malice and if he reacts he is genuinly scared/excited and can be calmed down with correct handling.

However I do think some horses are just safer then others.

Piccolo has always been pretty safe. She is dependable and safe. Doesn't mean she doesn't have spark but simply that she doesn't react without thinking first and when thinking will listen too. She has been a easy youngster andi think personality wise will always be a easy/safe horse.

To me a unsafe horse would be one who doesn't value the safety of its rider/handler and ultimately doesn't value it's own safety.

Actually I have to say I dont believe ANY horse is truly 'safe' in the real sense of the word - purely because of what they are - a flight animal by nature. If they are spooked some of them will go into flight mode, be it a little spin, or a full on tank away like the devil himself is on their tail.

I agree you have the sensible, 'bombproof' (I HATE that expression - so mis used with horses!) who very, very rarely react to scary situations - but they are a living, breathing animal, with its own fears and thought processes - i.e one day you may just come across the single thing that safe old ploddy is terrified of - and he might well surprise you and spin and gallop for home like a thing possessed:giggle::unsure:!

With many years and many, many different types of horses under my belt, I would say that I have never met a 100 per cent guaranteed will NEVER do anything stupid horse! They just dont exist - or only in their devoted owners mind!:smile:

After all - I am also a living, thinking animal - I like to think my persona is stable, usually unflappable, peaceful and non aggressive human being - but put me in a situation where I feel terrified, threatened and out of my depth I could easily turn into the sweet old lady toting a 12 bore with every intention of using it!:bounce:

Entirely agree.... Can I have the priceless one EML, to come and live with Ed??
But, I guess in two years there'll always be an incident or two and there'll always be something that frightens them :smile:

Priceless one has been with me since he was 3 and is now 10 and will never leave me!! A 15hh connie type who got an infection in transit as a yearling and didn't develop well, (lacking bone) so couldn't be sold by my dealer friends who have stunning irish youngsters.

He is voice controlled, teaches everyone from basics to canter from 8 yos to grannies and if shocked will literally stand still. Jumps 3' SJ and XC with a competent rider and pops tiny jumps without a bump for the less brave . Comes to call at a canter puts head obligingly into bridle but is TERRIFIED (will stand and shake) by wheely bins!!

Priceless one has been with me since he was 3 and is now 10 and will never leave me!! A 15hh connie type who got an infection in transit as a yearling and didn't develop well, (lacking bone) so couldn't be sold by my dealer friends who have stunning irish youngsters.

He is voice controlled, teaches everyone from basics to canter from 8 yos to grannies and if shocked will literally stand still. Jumps 3' SJ and XC with a competent rider and pops tiny jumps without a bump for the less brave . Comes to call at a canter puts head obligingly into bridle but is TERRIFIED (will stand and shake) by wheely bins!!

LOL... Ed is rather similar ( honest!) But scared of big birds!! Well, if your connie type ever needs a new home (not that he will) he'll be an incredibly sort after type. They're worth their weight in gold!

I'm another to go along with "depends on the handler".

My mare is as laid back as they come, but she needs firm and quiet handling. She will not tolerate shouting and arm waving, and will make this very clear to any handler using those methods on her - she'll throw her head around, barge, threaten to bite or kick, run back, and given half a chance will run away. I've had her threatening to rear in the field after a stressful training session with such a person, and as soon as I got her headcollar off she was gone, flat out back to the herd.

Handle her right and she's a gem. My farrier is always kind to her, even if she gets silly, which rarely happens, and only through boredom. There's one who comes on the yard who'll kick them or hit them with a rasp if a horse so much as looks at him wrong, and I honestly don't think he'd last five minutes with that kind of treatment, and I wouldn't risk my horse or his safety.

I also agree a lot comes down to the handler and the situation.

My horse for instance is fantastic in traffic and when ridden he copes very well in lots of different scenarios you would expect nervous horse not to cope with so I am happy to do lots of things with him.

Our troubles are on the yard, not because he is malicious or bolshy but because of his super strong flight instinct, particularly when being handled from the ground. He can flip between being half asleep and jumping out of his skin in a millisecond and the smallest thing can set him off. He is also very suspicious, particularly of other people, so it is hard to reassure him once he is in that frame of mind, even if nothing had actually happened.

Someone unwinding the hose pipe can turn into a major traumatic event - even though he sees it every single day of his life and has never comes to any harm!

Generally he is great but I am very aware how minor incidents can so easily turn into major ones so I take precautions like using a extra long, strong rope when leading and I keep him at a great yard with lots of experienced people around that's away from main roads!

Where I kept him before he was unsafe because I couldnt cope on my own with him in the surroundings - even though I could ride him anywhere.

newrider.com