What is your worming programme?

Worm count every 3 months. Started the tape worm saliva tests this year.
Work wise we have had an interesting year. All 4 showed high tape their 1st test in spring despite been routinely wormed for these up until that point. Ross has always been the one in the herd to carry most of the worms and has always needed worming at every count. The other 3 rarely have had to be done in 3 years but the last one all 4 were medium to high so it's going to be interesting what the counts at the end of this month show and it's tape test again for Autumn. They are rotated grazing in large paddocks that gets rested a min of 3 months between use, sheep cross graze and we poo pick when strip grazing. We do a panacur 5 day once a year.

My 2 have been on the same as work and it's usually Torin who carries the more than Rhan but both had to be done this time round. Mine were done a little earlier than usual as Rhan was going away and had to be up to date for the yard she is at.

Twice a year unless necessary.

I change the wormer each time, have a record of what we gave and when.

The horses rotate pastures - 3 months in one field, 3 in an another afterwards, etc all the time so probably not ever in the same field.

The ponies rotate pastures - 6 months in one 50 acre field and 6 months in another.

I never see worms in their poo. I do look. I may be obssessed actually!

I understand the silava test for tapeworm, but I am not aware of a test for encysted red worm? The wormer I need to give in Autumn covers both tapeworm and encysted red worm. For those who don’t routinely worm in Autumn, how do you check for the encysted red worm?

So which months would you do FEC if you do 4 times a year samples.
My vet says only to worm count during the spring/summer. So do a FEC about 6 weeks after the last frost (about May?) and then repeat in July and September. Worms are killed (or just not active?) in the winter so you don’t need to worry about them then.

I was told that many of us don't get a long enough cold spell nowadays for worms to become inactive.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a test for encysteds, but as a rule if you've had years of clear counts it's unlikely that there's an encysted problem.

newrider.com