What kills like this? (don't look if you're squeemish)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Found this in the field last night, a bird (from the feathers) skin inside out with just leg bones left, I guessed at a bird of prey having left it?
FB_IMG_1572010362004.jpg

Hmm, yes could be an owl? Or would it be more mashed up (cos they regurgitate?) We often see similar. I sometimes suspect rats. Is it quite fresh looking? Because they do assume that look when they've been there a while. (Hard to tell from a pic of course).

Reactions: Jessey
I don't know, but I hope someone does. We had a mouse or a vole turned inside out like that in our back garden some time ago and I've always wondered what did it. I know foxes often eat the heads of birds and leave the rest. I've stumbled on a Buzzard with a kill so now know that the dead rabbits we see spreadeagled on their backs with their bellies slit open and guts lying a few feet away are the work of Buzzards (we don't have any other large bird of prey round us). Still need to know what turns its prey inside out though ... rather gruesome and it is nearly Halloween :eek:

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Oh and Sparrowhawks in the garden, I presume if they take a small bird they fly off with the whole thing because the only evidence I've seen is the feathers under the tree where they perch. If they take a Collared Dove, which is too large for them to carry, they remove the wings and tail and fly off with the body.

We sometimes find pigeons on their backs with the belly slit open and insides removed and wonder if that is Sparrowhawk too.

Hmm, yes could be an owl? Or would it be more mashed up (cos they regurgitate?) We often see similar. I sometimes suspect rats. Is it quite fresh looking? Because they do assume that look when they've been there a while. (Hard to tell from a pic of course).
Perhaps, I thought bird of prey only because they tend to tear at the meat rather than chew it like I would expect Mr fox to. We have barn owls, buzzards, and foxes in the field and I saw a smaller hovering brownish bird hunting there last weekend, I thought maybe a kite as it had a blunt/square tail but it wasn't close enough to see much detail. There is also an otter family in the river at the other end of the field. Don't know which, if any of those might pull them inside out though.

Last edited:
How fascinating. I don’t think it’s an owl, t they just pull off bits and swallow, bigger birds of prey would probaby pluck the feathers, my best guess would be rats or maybe a feral cat? Hopefully some one will some light soon as I would love to know.

Perhaps, I thought bird of prey only because they tend to tear at the meat rather than chew it like I would expect Mr fox to. We have barn owls, buzzards, and foxes in the field and I saw a smaller hovering brownish bird hunting there last weekend, I thought maybe a kite as it had a blunt/square tail but it wasn't close enough to see much detail. There is also an otter family in the river at the other end of the field. Don't know which, if any of those might pull them inside out though.
Kites (Red ones) are slightly bigger than Buzzards, have a forked tail and are beautifully coloured if you see them close enough up. Kestrel is the only true hovering BOP although others do use the wind against their wings to maintain a stationary position. Good point about the Otters, we definitely don't have those in the back garden but we do see the occasional Stoat. Don't know if they prey on birds? I wonder if a Sparrowhawk had been plucking it and somehow turned it inside out ... maybe a young one that hadn't got the hang of it yet, although I'd say turning it inside out to get at all the inside bits is a good move if you can't cut it open to reach them. What could be strong enough to kill something but not able to tear its skin open and yet clever and dexterous enough to turn it inside out? Am I over thinking this? :p Do love a good mystery.

I'd bet there are stoat and/or mink but I've not seen them. Lots of rat like holes in the riverbanks....
If you're over thinking so am I @Bodshi :p not a kite then, it was similar in size to a crow when it landed on a telegraph pole in the next field.

Eta it was right next to the hay post in the middle of the sandy patch, that's why I jumped to some kind of bird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodshi
I'd of said something with paws and lots of strength to do something like that so otter or stoat. No idea though

I saw a weasel as I left work yesterday! Was just standing getting ready to get on my bike and it popped out right in front of me. Must be weasel season!

Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
newrider.com