What kind of pelham?

ms dude

Mar 14, 2009
my horse leans a lot on the bit and i have a showing class that i need a pelham for. he normally rides in a nutcracker or french link and im worried that in a pelham he'll just pull. any advice on what kind of pelham to get?

well seeing as you really need a pelham cuz of the showing, i'd say try something with a lozenge cuz they cant se against it to much, or if you can find on, get a waterford mouthpiece as long as he doesnt mind lots of movement in his mouth... i think neue schule do them and ive had excellent results with the salox thing with gucci
good luck =]

My only word of caution is that I've heard that jointed pelhams can muffle the signals somewhat and confuse the horse. This isn't from personal experience though, and there is of course exceptions for every rules in that there are some horses much better in jointed pelhams...

What kind of bit cheek piece wise is he normally in? If simply a snaffle, you may find that being able to apply a gentle amount of curb with the pelham even when straight bar, will be enough to to lift him and stop him pulling anyway...Obviously advocate the use of 'snaffle' rein primarily, but nothing wrong with using curb in moderation to help out...

I have also heard that jointed pelhams are a ridiculous idea and in theory should never work, but my boy is in a french link pelham and he is the happiest hes ever been with his mouth, lovely light and responsive. Worth a try but perhaps borrow one if you can instead of buying one, just incase your horse doesnt like it.

newrider.com