What kind of shoes

Heart bars, I bet someone was cursing when their horse pulled them off!

Farrier fitted J with them not long before we had to have him pts. He said they would be okay because he was on box rest and limited daily walks on concrete. I believe they are easy to pull off though?

@Trewsers they are, because the back of them is at least level with the heels, and often behind, they are easy to step on with the hinds. Farriers usually recommend good overreach boots are worn when they are fitted.

Reactions: Trewsers
They have various uses @Native Lover , but basically anything where stabilising the foot and providing frog support would be beneficial - I've seen them for laminitis and severe quarter cracks. In and of themselves they aren't a cure, but combined with other things they can help some horses a lot.

Reactions: Native Lover
A bar shoe.
Ah thanks its you thats got the one chunky pulled off 13 years ago. Yes i did curse your quite right. Joking aside somebody must have picked up the one he lost out on a hack and took it home with them. Ive never found it and ive hacked the route many times over the years. Only realized when we got back to the yard from a hack that he'd pulled it.
I had to have one on chunky when he fractured his pedal bone. Thats the only reason he is now shod on his fronts. He was barefoot before his facture. So we had to put one normal shoe on and one bar shoe. In his case it was to stop the play on the foot on the uneven ground. A normal open shoe at the back even though its metal and pretty solid can still flex when walking. To help knit the fracture together you have the extra bar to stop the flexing and keep the foot stable. I still have the one that was taken off when he went to normal shoes. It wasnt too warn so farrier said keep it incase hes not ready for the transition to normal shoe and we have to put it back on.

@chunky monkey I knew I'd seen one on another horse and couldn't remember why, thanks for reminding me :) . I take it they worked for Chunky? We tried them on Jim for laminitis and had to take them off again very quickly because even on box rest he wouldn't tolerate them.

Reactions: Native Lover
Yes it was fine. He wore a bar for a year after his fracture (although vet did say it wasnt the worst pedal bone fracture he'd seen so prognosis was good) then transitioned to the normal shoe. He only ever pulled the one bar shoe on a hack. Think we went down a size after that. He never noticed the difference. Even though it was also heavier than the normal shoe on his other foot.
Farrier said after a couple of years i could go back to barefoot the fracture should he fully healed but i decided not to risk it. Thats the only reason he has front shoes. Once i retire him from work i am thinking of going barefoot as he has excellent feet all round but im not sure. When the farrier trims his feet on the one foot i think its the one that had the fracture he often has red blood bruising. So i wonder if its connected to the fracture some 13 years ago.

newrider.com