What rug should my mare be wearing

Zianka

Jan 7, 2017
I have just had a new mare , she's a 16'2 thouroghbread , She is 22 years old and an absolute angel , anyway I'm used to keeping cobs , what kind of rugs should she be wearing , Both in and out of the stable for this time of year , many thanks in advance , zianka

Attachments

• IMG_1547.PNG
    IMG_1547.PNG
    418.5 KB · Views: 9
Whatever she feels a comfortable temperature in, it really is as simple as that. The chances are she'll need a bit more than the cobs, but having said that I've known chunky cobs that are absolute pansies & tbs that are amazingly hardy.

Reactions: Trewsers and Zianka
Yep I'd agree, there is no set thickness of rug for a specific breed at a certain time of year, it's down to earth he individual and what they are fed :)

just keep a check on how warm she is under her rug and at the base of her ears and be ready to add another layer. I like the liners you can get from PE or Horseware and I use them with other brands of rug with no problem.

I only got her last night she is ex polo she has came out stable with swollen legs any advice how to help her with this I turned her out she seems happy running and when she lay down got up with no trouble and eat all her food x

Everyone at my yard has condemned her saying she is lam and she is in pain but I wanted to seek more advice I am not interested in riding her just a companion she is so loving and friendly towards all the horses and kids I am not going to have her put to sleep like they are telling me I will try what u told me and see how she goes if this didn't work I'll get a vet out thanks ps what stable leg raps are best

Well I certainly wouldn't take notice of fellow liveries without having a vet out to her. Maybe it would put your mind at rest if she had a once-over? I hope everything works out - let us know how you get on.

Reactions: carthorse
If you're worried about a lameness issue I'd get a vet out to check her over. Legs can swell overnight sometimes. I had a little Section B mare that I brought in the night before her first show and was horrified to find her with both front legs filled the next morning!

I contacted my vet today and she has advised me on light exercises and hose her legs down if they swel up it only seems to be in the morning when she comes out stable after a hour of being turned out she is fine I really do not think she is lame I think the swelling was caused to her being stabled most of the winter at her old yard with only a hour exercise a day she is old and standing in a stables for hours will not do her no good just think she may have been abit stiff but she seems better on her legs now apart from the bit of swelling in the morning the vet has told me if there no change in next couple days to call her out x

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Won't she get to cold as she is 22 years old n the fields are really poor ATM hardly no grass just dirt x

If you give her lots of hay at a few different points scattered round the field, and rug her well, there is no reason why she can't stay out. If her legs are swelling standing in, she needs to move as much as she can.

newrider.com