What rugs are your neddies weaing in their stable at night during this cold snap!

chickitta

Sep 6, 2008
Berkshire...
My very fine coated tb type is in a 200g stable rug with 270g outdoor rug over the top and now it's very cold an indoor neck rug... how hard is it with all these different rugs to get it right...:eek: You don't want them cold but also you don't want them too hot.... :eek: Just wondering what everyone else does? She's out all day with double rugs on too.....

Mine is keeping his NZ on - its the heaviest rug I have (400gsm I think) I put the neck down in the stable overnight. Every am or pm he is warm and toastie!

Tia is also keeping her heavy turnout on with the neck cover fastened all the time (in andout of the stable). She gets very agitated and itchy with too many rugs. This one is very snug, but she doesn't overheat in it.

I don't swap her rugs at night when she comes in and then again in the morning before she goes out. i've always thought it must be horible to have your lovely toasty rug taken off to have it replaced with a freezing cold one!

I do take it off for half an hour in the evening while she has a good groom.

ETA it was minus 9 yesterday morning and she was still warm enough with just the one rug on.

Last edited:
my Criollo x mare is clipped and from yesterday when I added a fleece, she has a fleece, followed by a medium turnout with a heavy turnout with neck on top. Her ears were cold yesterday morning, hence the addition of the fleece. My clipped cob gelding just has a heavy Rhino Wug although his ears were a little cold this morning so may add a fleece if cold tomorrow, but don't want him to get hot because he may start to kick his door which doesn't go down well with the YO who lives on site. I leave the rugs on day and night, they only come off when ridden. They are both turned out from 7am to 3.30 pm. The field was hard frozen this morning when I turned out and I also had to use a hammer to break the ice on the trough.

erm nothing up until 2 days ago when i finally cracked and put a fleece on (nothing else though!she is very hairy and doesnt seem bothered by the cold). which will come off again the moment we're out of the minus temperatures.

Julia
x

My mare has permanetly got her heavy weight combo on. If its really really cold she has a medium weight underneath or if its a bit chilly she just has a fleece on underneath

We've got 2 or 3 rugs layered on each horse day and night at the moment

My cob mare last night had a 4oz full neck rug, then a 12 oz and a 6 oz field rug on top, out in the field today she has a the 4 oz full neck under rug, and a 12oz full neck field rug on top - And shes just warm enough, not really toastie
Normally a 12oz rug is the max she needs in winter
Shes only been rugged up this much once before, when she was very ill a few yrs back, she had phneumonia and was at the vets for a month!

Its barmy, I've only got 1 more rug I can add and she'll be wearing her whole wardrobe! but all that weight of rugs, cant be good to carry around all day, but what can you do, they need to be warm :confused:

Youngster and cob are usually unrugged, mare has a fine coat, so she has a m/w stable rug with the neck turned down.They are in with plenty of hay and maintaining condition, so seem happy enough.

Jen has a lightweight stable rug at night more to keep her clean than anything else, then a 100g turnout during the day as there's not much shelter in the paddock.

Jasper however is nekkid in or out unless it's peeing it down when he has a tiny no fill foal rug on again because of the lack of shelter

my po has a light weight a heavey weight by day n his stable rug on top by night, my highland x wears his heavey weight day n night n my boy wears his heavey weight full neck by day and also at night with his stable rug on top

Snap!

Molly was hunter clipped on New Years Day (bad timing I know :eek:) so although she is a fairly tough Welsh Dx I was worried about the extreme change from super fluffy to naked!

Her warmest rug is her HW combo turnout, and she has had her fleece under that at times too - seemed to be about right, warm but not hot. But I have been a bit unsure! Iusually change out of stable rugs to turnout - but she seemed happiest in the hw so stuck with that.

I'm feeling my way though as a new owner - I'm sure I'm getting it all wrong :eek:

Tia is also keeping her heavy turnout on with the neck cover fastened all the time (in andout of the stable). She gets very agitated and itchy with too many rugs. This one is very snug, but she doesn't overheat in it.

I don't swap her rugs at night when she comes in and then again in the morning before she goes out. i've always thought it must be horible to have your lovely toasty rug taken off to have it replaced with a freezing cold one!

I do take it off for half an hour in the evening while she has a good groom.

ETA it was minus 9 yesterday morning and she was still warm enough with just the one rug on.

Frankie is a TB he though not clipped so most of the winter I have been switching between a 300g stable rug on cold nights and a 200g on not so cold nights.
However the last few days I have been using an under rug as he was feeling a little chilly.
This will come off as soon as the temp goes back to normal.

my wuss is high trace clipped and wears a double duvet with 2 stable rugs over the top, one with a neck. um, pull the duvet up round his ears and wrap it round his chest, nice and toasty.
lucky sod, as my boiler is broken, i'm very jealous!!:eek:

Mine are out at night, they have a heavyweight stable rug on during the day whilst they're in for a few hours if it's down close to zero.

My gelding that has a full clip has a fleece and a HW with full neck, I also have a lycra body vest for the really cold nights.
My others who are unclipped have medium turnouts on day and night.

newrider.com