What shall I do now with my 31/2 year old?

never again

Aug 31, 2005
birmingham
Well the question is in the title:)

Aram (my fjord gelding) is now broken to ride. He walks, trots and canters succesfully, balanced and works in an outline when asked.

I know he is young, but what should I do with him now? Don't worry though folks, I dont ride him often, maybe twice a week and not for long.

He has been riding in the school and out in fields. Is there anyhting else I could/should be doing? Or just carry on as I am at the moment untill he is older?

Advice is appreciated:D

2005_0620aramandoyster0050.jpg

2005_0620aramandoyster0064.jpg

lol ditto that! And then you said I know he's only young and I was like what do you consider old then?! :D As for advice I don't know anything on those lines sorry!:eek:

Ahhh he i lovely! Think if I were you I would carry on riding him thro the winter just couple times a wk, but maybe do some short hacks etc so he doesn't get bored. Then in spring gradually increase his work.
Sounds like you are doing a great job with him:)

Hacking is good for babies, makes them go forwards and be brave, if he isnt too sure take him out with a confident horse which will help build his confidence out.

Maybe try him on the lunge for 10mins or so to get him used to this? What are your intentions for him? Long term...?

Thanks for the compliments. I realised after I posted it looked like he was 31:p haha.

I havent really hacked him out yet. Ive taken him down a woods, quiet road and lead him down a v.busy road which he was fine with.

I have lunged him, thats how I started him off, and he listens to voice perfectly, but my long term plans are for him to be a 'general' riding horse for fun. Diddy ODE's, some sj etc. Bits and bobs really :D

Thanks for your help!!

Questy is he same age. Hes due back from being broken to drive in the next couple of weeks. Im turning him away to give him time to develope. Aim to bring him in around Chestmas New Year time.

Essie is 4 and she's doing just about that, being ridden or driven twice a week and just gently bringing her on.

hacking, hacking and more hacking. keeps them interested, builds up fitness (perfect for when you start more serious schooling) and gets them used to being out and about.

newrider.com