what shall i do with my field?

K

Kate&TheHerd

well i have 3 horses on about a 3.5 acre field (we dont know exact size). i rent 2 fields, this is the top field. i only moved new onto the fields in dec. they before this had sheep on them, but have been rested for a bit. the grass wasnt really long. the 2 of the horses were in the bottom field (about 4 acres) from december to feb. i then got another horse, and moved all 3 to the top field. i thought this would be a good idea so they could cut the grass down before the new grass comes up now.

im thinking of leaving the bottom field for hay but not sure yet. now, the new grass is coming up in the top field but not loads. the top field is bare ish, they still want hay now and again. i put some out just to see if they want any or not and they wanted a bit tonight.

so obv the spring grass is coming but not loads.little bits i have sectioned off, like my schooling area has grown up loads. so do i need to section bits off, let it grow then re section other bits off? or quarter the field then move them around the sections?

field management is new to me as previously iv been at livery, now this is just me, my horses and 2 fields! i dont want them getting loads of grass but i also dont know how to manage it....help!

I started to reply to this yesterday, but couldn't make sense of my own writing so cancelled reply - sorry!
I have 4 acres, have sectioned it off into quarters. I have 3 on it - 2 tb's and 1 dartmoor pony.
Dartmoor's quarter section is then halved again and I will rotate between the two so he has restricted grazing all the time.
The other 3/4 are to be rotated, hopefully each quarter should do Silver and Scooby a few weeks.
I guess it depends on whether they are good doers or not? My two tb's definitely need the grass, and Echo definitely doesn't!
Perhaps if you have good doers, you could save half for hay this year?

iv got my whole bottom field which is 4 acres which im saving for hay, i just wondered what to do with this top field the 3-3.5 acres.

well i have 3 a hackney x cob, a cob so both good doers and my 2 yr old tb x

so basically you have quartered your field and move them around the sections every 2 weeks? i seems odd saving sections and putting them on all that grass, but i guess if you dont do this, they eat all the grass as soon as its coming up thus gettin more rich grass?

Until a month or so ago, I had 5 on the land, they were on it most of the winter and it had got really short in places, and is taking ages to grow! I must be the only person wishing for rain:D
But, basically, yes, I am moving them every few weeks, so they don't eat it down too much in one place - don't want to overgraze/poach the land.

Keeping some for hay sounds like a good plan to me.

Land management is a bit of trial and error as land is so variable on how it performs.

I would suggest keeping the best draining bit for hay. Section of the rest and then rotate the paddock the are on when you need to unless strip grazing would be best for the management of your horses.

Then once the hay has been baled you can use your hay field for their winter turnout which is why I suggested using the best drained bit for hay. Of course other factors will come into it too like access, natural shelter etc but that just a general suggestion. :)

newrider.com