What shall I show him as?

schneeko

Apr 10, 2009
I have a tb x holstiener that i'm taking to a show at the weekend. I'm doing novice showing because hopefully there won't be too many amazingly expirenced people and because I don't know what class to show my horse in. Also, what tack and turnout is correct for me depending on what class he's suitable for? Here's a few pictures to help:

CopyofIMG_2126.jpg

cheekojumping1.png

MOV164_0001.jpg

I'm going down the yard soon and I can take a proper conformation pic if that helps anyone

For You
Jodphurs: Canary/Yellow (ish). Never white or cream though. Cream is acceptable if you really dont have anything else.
Shirt: Cream/yellowish (make sure it fits nicely around your neck!!)
Tie: Any colour but i like Red, with maybe a pattern through it??
Jacket: Tweed (green, blue or yellowy to go with his colouring. Dont go for a brown on him.)
Hat: Hard hat (nacy/ with flesh straps).
Gloves: depends upon the colour of your tack (havana or black - never cream, it highlights your hands)
Cane/Whip: Completes the overall picture. I prefer a plain brown/black but many opt for a Bamboo.
Shoes: Long riding boots in either black or brown. If they have a straight top then you need garter straps as well

For the Horse
Bridle: Just make sure its clean. No martingales, brestplates etc.
Browband: Hunter - plain, workman like
Riding Horse - Velvet coloured (match your tie etc.)
Plaiting: Plait his mane and forelock, and pull or plait his tail, depending on which you can do :)
Trimming: Trim all his feathers off, cut his tail to 4 inches below his hocks (do this gradually, until it looks right), trim his whiskers, including eye whiskery bits. And make sure his 'beard' is nice and neat :D
Nummnah: Either dont wear one, or one that is the same colour as your saddle, and is shaped to it.
Hope that helps, anything i missed?? xxx

Thanks for that

Do I need to have a plain (flat) noseband and browband or will a raised one do?

And as for "does he have flashy movement?": i'd say no most of the time. He is quite workmanlike at home but he will look more impressive and flashy when we're out as long as he doesn't get too stressed (then he gets all short in his stride)

aww, im sure he'll be fine. Hunters tend to be slightly more workmanlike in their movement, so thats good. But you dont want them clomping about (if that makes sense)
If you keep calm, he'll keep clam hopefull :)
Yeh, if you have it flat is brill. But if not then raised is perfectly fine :) xx

tamsinnx you are a lifesaver (well show saver at the very least). He is quite light on his feet so that should be ok. He's nice and calm at dressage now as well so i'm hoping showing won't prove too much harder to cope with. Bless him (he is a little bit retarded sometimes)

haha lol. Mine's exactly the same. she got rather annoyed that the judges were in the arena with her when we did dressage. And proceeded to fart every single time we went past them. I wasnt best pleased, neither were they!!
What show is it?? Where about are you?? xxx

It's a Solent Riding Club one on the Hampshire Show Ground next sunday. Which coincidently is in hampshire. What sort of horse have you got?

Mirrors were the funniest for us. He seriously though another horse was staring at him.

lol, we've not experience mirrors yet!! that'll be an intereseting one then.
Ahh, im cheshire. Just been looking for some shows for my bro atm, but cant find anything decent next weekend.
I've got a 16hh Belgian Warmblood, and a 12.3/13hh NFx Welsh thing. Shes got no papers, so its a guess. lol
xx

weird I've got the tb x warmblood and also a weird little NF x with something (we think he's probably crossed with a welsh section A cos of his dished face)

I only ask about the movement as if he is quite flicky toed he would make a nice small riding horse but if he is more workmanlike then he would make a nice small hunter.

For hunters:
He should wear a brown or havana saddle and bridle with a flat hunter noseband. No numnah unless you have one which the same colour as the saddle and very discreet.
Plaited mane with a pulled tail.

You should wear a tweed jacket with with cream jodphurs. Although you can wear canary for Intermediate show hunter's.
Blue or cream shirt with a tie that compliments the jacket.
You should tie your tie in a windsor knot as it looks neater and then attach to your shirt with a tie pin.
Brown cane and gloves.
Long black leather riding boots with garter strap and spurs are also correct in hunter classes.
Velvet navy riding hat with flesh coloured straps.

If he is more suited to riding horse classes you make minor alterations to this turnout:
Plaited velvet browband but keep the flat hunter noseband.
You can wear canary jodphurs.
Also add quarter marks to his bum.

haha lol. Hmmm I've always worn canary, and always ridden minnie.
So cream with tweed etc?? Is my hunting stuff ok for show, but with cream joddies?? xx
Ah, yes i see now. I sometimes do it like, depends how rushed I am. lol
How many different ways are there to tie a tie??? xx

Last edited:
It's a Solent Riding Club one on the Hampshire Show Ground next sunday. Which coincidently is in hampshire. What sort of horse have you got?

Mirrors were the funniest for us. He seriously though another horse was staring at him.

I miss that show!! :mad: Hampshire Show Ground is pretty dire footing wise though, but it should be a good day out.

newrider.com