What should a front foot look like when barefoot?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
A friend recently took the fronts off her horse, after 8 - 12 weeks shod (I think, she doesn't shoe him all year round). I had a look tonight as I fetched him, he's got very elongated frogs and seems to be walking on the inside of his toe (About a centimetre from the edge of the toe) and loading most weight on the frog, the outside of the hoof capsule is a couple of millimetres off the ground at the front, and there is wear on the outside. It's more obvious on his offside front, his frog looks to be stuck out further than the hoof? :unsure:
Can any one post a piccie of what a health foot should look like underneath? I'll try and get piccies when the lights good.

I think he's walking on where his white line should be judging by the diagram :unsure: Frog appears to be deeper than it should be too, quite narrow (under an inch wide going towards middle of his foot) but about an inch from top to sole (in the crevices on either side), it doesn't feel very tough, i can pinch it between my fingers.
He's been tripping a lot when ridden, not tripping over as such, just not picking his feet up properly or placing them, also he favours soft ground over tarmac. He's also unable to keep up with my lad at all, in walk. He's about the same height, but has a pony stride.
He seemed a bit footy when I fetched him in tonight.

A photo is easier than a description.

The frog is soft like a sponge its the pump for the blood.

Last edited:
newrider.com