What should my plan of action be?

Smartie Pants2

Sep 21, 2007
Pushing a wheelbarrow, Northampton,
Fifi went back to the vet yesterday, and the outcome is now that from the xray the chip of bone has come away and is working it's way to the top of the skin, which should rupture, she will then go back in for a clean out but she shouldn't need stiches.

He says that at the end of December she was 8 out of ten lame, now she is 2out of 10 lame which is a vast improvement, he is really pleased as the surgeon from Newmarket didn't really want to operate.

Sooooooo, what I was wondereing is, when I take here out(vet has given the ok), being led from Smartie in walk only until we have to go back to vet, how long should the sessions last, and how often. She has a lot of muscle wastage on her back end due to the box rest:mad:

Opinions gratefully received please:D

How long has your horse been out of work? Is it likely to be excited? If so I would lead from the ground. Wearing your hard hat and take a friend with you.
If all is OK!!!! I would lead out for a very small distance. Maybe just 5/10 minutes. Your horse might be excited, jump around and seem OK. I thing it'd be best to take it really slow though. A hypper horsey can look sound/OK but you have to be the sensible one and know when to call it a day and go home.
At least if you start with 10 minutes and it goes OK then you can increase it. Too much too soon could put your horse back on box rest.
x

Have been leading in hand for a week and she was quite hyper. Vet said it would be ok to lead from another horse, I'll try a bit of both and see which suits her. She has been out of work since the last week of November. I'll try 10/15 mins at first and see how we go:)

Why don't you ask your vet?

When my boy had been on boxrest for a long period (6 mths in total with a week in the field after about 2 mths) I walked him in hand for 15 mins twice a day at the vet's recommendation. When we started under saddle again he said start with just 5 mins walk, increase it every day by a few minutes as long as he's comfortable.
I always ask my vet exactly what he means - how long, how often etc.

Leading from another horse might be quite dangerous depending on how hyper they make eachother. I'd feel more comfortable with hat and gloves from the ground in a safe area 9or on board if vet says it's ok).

newrider.com