What size bridle pieces should I buy?

Jul 15, 2005
Essex
My mare is Welsh x TB, and has quite a chunky head. Normal length, but quite wide. I want to buy her a new bridle, but need to buy it in separate pieces, as she has full headpiece/cheek pieces and x full browband/noseband.

I know the 1/2" width pieces would be too fine, but can't decide whether to go for 5/8" or 3/4" width.

And also can't decide between Jeffries and Sabre. I like the look of Sabre best, but can't find the right size headpiece to order 3/4" size on the website I was using (Fylde Saddlery).

Any recommendations?

Sabre doesn't last very well when it gets wet. I've used my show bridle three times in the rain this week and it needs a lot of tlc. I've just invested in a £15 bridle for everyday.

Width wise I go for 5/8" on my full size D.

In terms of parts, you can ring Fylde and order that way.

I'm really confused now, because everyone else has been raving about Sabre bridles - and saying they are much better quality than Jeffries. :confused:

I wouldn't particularly have to use it on wet days, as I do have another bridle I could use for everyday use. And I tend to use the Nikwax leather restorer which is great for waterproofing leather.

Thanks for the tip about phoning them. I've since found a cheaper website and can order on line with free delivery! ;)

So - should I stick to Jeffries? I really like the look of the Sabre bridles.

I'm not impressed with the way my everyday one (I have two) has worn. The show bridle has been fantastic until these last few days when it's been soaked, but I can't find my stuff to supple it up again, and prior to now it was barely used.

It does look nice, and if you don't necessarily want to use it everyday then I wouldn't say it mattered.

Oh, really can't decide now! :(

I had my heart set on Sabre - and really would like to use it most days. Is it just when it gets wet, or don't they wear well generally?

Everyone on another website has been raving about them, and saying Jeffries aren't as good.

But I have had two Jeffries bridles used for everyday riding, and they were fine quality wise.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :p

Older bridle
Bitsandbridles006.jpg

Newer Bridle
Bitsandbridles003.jpg

I think the first one was a year or so old at that point, it looks a bit more worn now. The second was brand new, it still looked like that having only been used for shows, until it got wet. Now it needs some tlc.

I really like the Jefferies and bought a cob size for my fjord; however, the noseband was too small :eek: which was a nasty shock.
So rather than buy another I decided to remove it :). Which suits us fine as we are just hacking around at the moment.

Thanks for the photos Daffy Dilly. I am now going to go to Ingatestone Saddlery when I have time, as then I will be able to see the bridle parts for myself rather than buy them on the internet. :)

I went for a Sabre for my 14.1hh welsh sec d.

I had trouble getting a bridle to fit
Pony size and everything would be done up on last holes and cob size everything would be done up on tightest holes.

After much research i found out that Sabre sizes come up quite a bit smaller than most other makes so went for a cob size Sabre Cordoba (padded headpiece) and am very pleased with it and 1 year later it cleans up like new still.

Kxx

newrider.com