What size horse fits you best?

Melrose

Jan 23, 2012
I know this question is sort of like asking 'how long is a piece of string' but I was wandering for me personally, what size horse and breed would suit me best?

I know if they are shorter but stockier it would be fine and if they were slimmer but taller it would also be okay but what size minimum would you look at when buying a horse, if you were me?

I am 5'11 so very tall :frown: and weigh 10st. I do have long legs, however have the same length legs as some friends who are 5'8 as I think my body is longer. :unsure:

I'm not completely clueless of course, I know what type I would fit and look/feel comfortable on - but I always like to know others opinions. What horses do you have/ride and how tall are you?

Here is a picture of me last summer on my old horse who is a 15.1hh full bred Arab. :smile: and yes I do ride short.

newmellymoo.jpg

13hh - there is no weight to you - a lot of natives (fjords ec) would take up your leg. Your legs only look long in above pic as you ride short. Riding short will prevent you having a smaller pony because it will push your bum back in the saddle so tip the saddle back

i am about 5ft6 and about 10.5st.

Moet is 15.2 middleweight cob (photo attached). I feel odd on anything smaller although i do ride my sisters cob who is 14.3h.

I feel good on Moet although i feel happy on something around 16.1ish.

I do ride my OH's hunter who is a 17.1h thoroughbred....i feel good on him too LOL! mind you i find his size a bit impractical so i dont think i would choose anything that big for myself.

personally i would not want anything smaller than moet if i purchased another horse.

Attachments

• C101.4419.jpg
    C101.4419.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 37
I am 5 ft 2 and 10 stone and have a 14.1 ish Connemara. He fits me well.

I also feel very comfortable on my second horse, who is a 15.2 French Arab with a wide barrel. But it's a long way down when I get off!

MA - That haffie is gorgues :wub: takes up your leg so well!

MR - I could imagine you on a nice big chunky 15h coblet or somthing nice & stocky :wub:

Ma omg I did not realise your TBX was so beautiful very jealous now. I think a jiffy bag in the mail would be fine pleeeeese

Here is me on my friends 16.2 I am 5'5 and 9 1/2 stone. My lad is the same size but could not find a nice picture!!!

GEDC0108.jpg

I like 16 - 16.3, warmbloods or TB only for me

Last edited:
Unless it was something very chunky like a Highland or strong of body and presence like an Icelandic, at 5ft 7 and currently 12st 4lbs I wouldn't want to be in anything smaller than Joy who looks like a 14.3hh mini Shire but is an old fashioned Welsh Sec D.

I've ridden my friends 14hh highland and a 13.2hh Icelandic both 3.5stone heavier than I am now and had no issues. Friend with the 14hh highland has her hubby who's 6ft 2 ride him and he doesn't look remotely small on him. It's remarkable and I'd never have thought it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

I like and feel better on something around 15-15.2hh,preferably with a bit of neck in front of me.

However I own and can manage better from a mounting POV a 14.1hh appy x native.I'll be honest since riding him a bit more lately I don't feel nearly as happy on him as I do on my 15hh welsh cob.

My appy takes up my leg ok as is quite stocky (although less so now lost weight and I am noticing a difference there as well,and do 'feel' a bit big on him lately,sharer has said the same funnily enough),but I just feel like I have nothing in front of me.Is not his way of going as carries himself just right,perfect head carriage really,is just that he is basically a pony and I am a not so small or dainty adult.
Depressing TBH so trying not to think about it.

Much happier on my cob though he feels like a good size for me,and although not got a high head carriage,he's big enough all over that feels like I have a horse in front of me.Shame about the way he actually rides lol.Could do with his body and Spotty's way of going!!

I'm only short at 5'3'' and ride a 13.2 Fell, we are both short and stocky. But when a girl on my yard rode him, she is a leggy 5'8'' she didn't look too tall. I was amazed at how he can take up leg, they looked fine and comfortable.

So you may be fine on a shorter rounder type than you think, if thats the way you want to go?

I'm 5 ft 4 and a bit short legged, but normal length body, and 14 stone something at the moment so a chunky 15hh cob I feel comfortable on. I have ridden taller ones at 16hh but mounting and dismounting become an issue and I feel I can't use my leg as effectively. I was actually put on a smaller cob, must have been 14.3hh and I was able to get my leg around her and get her going and she didn't struggle with me at all.

Last edited:
I'm only 5'3" and have a 16hh shire x tb. I initially worried that he might be too big for me, but once I got used to his long stride I just love riding him. I love everything about him actually but don't get me started or I will be here all day writing about him.

I'm only 5'3" and have a 16hh shire x tb. I initially worried that he might be too big for me, but once I got used to his long stride I just love riding him. I love everything about him actually but don't get me started or I will be here all day writing about him.

Please do :wink:

Draught horses all the way for my bum size Jack is 17.2 and Flora is 15.2 but shes wider I can't have muffin bum on a horse :bounce: I'm 5'6" and very fat :redface:

newrider.com