What small things make you happy?

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Random thread idea but i think sometimes we forget the small things that make us happy when life is busy and generally just being life! I thought we could add our little "things" here and remind ourselves and others that sometimes the simple things are what make life happy and good :) not materialistic things, just lifes little moments.

What simple little everyday things make you happy?

I'm currently sat here with a cup of tea cuddling Harry and smelling his paws. Yes his paws, the smell of his wee little paws brings a huge smile to my face that I can't control! Match that with a hot sweet cup of tea and I'm in heaven <3

Last edited:
There's this one track Jess and I ride, it's very close to home and in the huge forest but this 1 place is magical, there's a resonance about it that just makes me smile whenever we go down there, even more so if it is sunny :)
My other happy place is sat in my chair at the yard, with a cup of coffee, watching the ponies be content, I can loose an hour just sat there staring out :)

I’m ridiculously cheered by little things, cutting my lawn for one, I love the smell and how it looks when it’s done, I love seeing kingfishers by the ford or the little grey wagtails bob bobbing about, to be honest most things in nature I get great joy from, not counting lashing rain when I’m trying to poo pick!
You remind me if my youngest daughter sometimes @mystiquemalaika she loves to smell her cats paws!

Ah, alas, I can no longer smell the paws of my dear Mollydog. They smelt of rice. Corky's paws smell of cinnamon, he is a spicy little dog :)

I get an extraordinary amount of pleasure from my first sip of my first cup of coffee, or my first sip of a glass of fizz! As well as that, I love the shapes the trees make in our landscape and how their leaves overhang the road, and I love hearing the thrushes singing in the morning when I go over to the field. All sort of things, the list is endless....

What a nice thread.

I'm just sitting here thinking how sensible I was to get home last night and mow my lawn. Its poured pretty much most of the day. I love it when I know it's done.
The other night I sat on my jump logs in the middle of the field with 13 calves all milling round licking and sniffing me. They could be off munching but no they want to be stood next to me.
I love the sheep when they want a fuss and I step away and they come closer as they want more fuss. You just cant beat giving them a massage.

Gosh so many things make me happy these days - I think as we age we tend to appreciate the little perfect moments in life more.

Watching my lovely old Bertie donkey occasionally feeling well enough to still chase around like an eejit and play tug o war with a big stick with the young and dynamic Joseph donkey - just love that and sometimes watch them for ages.

Sitting back with my coffee on a fine day and taking in the fantastic view I am so very lucky to have from every single side of our property.

Seeing a cinnamon scented climbing rose I planted nearly 20 years ago that has done almost jackshite suddenly bowed down with blooms and the most gorgeous and heady perfume pervading the whole garden.

Waking up in the morning and turning over and seeing Mr C has made it through the night too......yet another day we can share after 50 years of them - not all blissful I might add!;):D

Being out in the countryside with my horse for company, listening to the birds, admiring the views. Not having to rush or worry about anything.

Today I saw a Red Kite on a local hack, I was beyond excited. There's loads around my farrier's as he's based quite close to one of the release sites at Harewood, but I've never seen one so far this way before. It gave us a good show too, it was hanging about the same spot - must have been something there that it fancied for dinner. A bit later on I saw either the same one or another over the road - only about half a mile if that from the original sighting so I suspect it may have been the same one. This time it was hanging over a road kill but the road was busy and this time it made me a bit sad because it couldn't get to what must have been a very tempting meal. If I'd been able to stop on that section of road I'd have found a way to scrape the kill off the road and chuck it in the field. But seeing such a beautiful bird made me very happy indeed.

Jumping on the cob completely bareback and riding her back to the field.
That never used to be permitted! My derrier was not sufficiently padded for madams comfort.
Thank you gravity.

Stopping and chatting to people on a hack, with the outward journey. Most of them are on holiday and haven't seen a horse. She loves all the fuss.

Last edited:
Out hacking last week was bliss - but for me riding is a major expensive thing. And I never regard checking OH is still alive (which I do too) as pleasure.
My secret insignificant pleasure is after lunch to make myself a capuccino with good beans from our fantastic espresso machine, and then sit down to do the crossword with OH.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
This morning I opened my wheelie bin to find a huge leopard slug sliding along and honestly just the surprise of seeing them and how lovely it's markings were made me so happy.

This morning I opened my wheelie bin to find a huge leopard slug sliding along and honestly just the surprise of seeing them and how lovely it's markings were made me so happy.
Ale, you must be the most animal-centred and kind-hearted person in the world, never mind on this forum. I like creatures, but I cannot imagine for one moment that if I encountered a giant leopard slug I would say anything other than "eeeew!"

Loving everyone's replies and happy things! Keep them coming!

There is a film called Phenomenon and there is a scene in it when he is just sitting watching the trees, they are swaying side to side ever so gently and the most beautiful elegant piece of piano music is playing. Anytime I see the trees sway like that I find my self hearing that piece of music and gently rocking side to side with them. Peace, happiness and pure contentment comes from that for me.

@chunky monkey aww sheep are my absolute love! I do them now at work and I can move them around from field to field on my own calmly and quietly. I currently have a ewe in with her 2 lambs, they are over 2 months old now. She is loving scratches and ginger nuts and an apple and her lambs especially the ewe are now coming right out their shells. The ewe lamb is enjoying chewing my fingers! Sheep bring me pure joy, I love it when they call to me when i shout good morning and 1 likes to stand up on the fence and meet me. They are often thought of as stupid but they are anything but and I always feel very honoured that a naturally very nervous animal starts to trust me and show me their quirky funny characters.

Any animal makes me smile and beam with happiness. We are lucky to have them around to enjoy <320190718_161056.jpgFB_IMG_1563726748595.jpgFB_IMG_1563726756528.jpg

Last edited:
Ale, you must be the most animal-centred and kind-hearted person in the world, never mind on this forum. I like creatures, but I cannot imagine for one moment that if I encountered a giant leopard slug I would say anything other than "eeeew!"

Haha, I'm with @Ale on this one, although I was remarking just yesterday that I haven't seen a single one this year - loads of ordinary black ones but no leopards. No horseflies yet either, but midges galore!

I wish, I just find animals far more interesting! The 3 yard guys at work came to get me the other day to move a frog for them! None of them would go near it.

newrider.com