What sort of cost for a newly backed 4yr old

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
If you were looking to buy a saddle for a 4 yr old recently back what would you look to pay for a saddle. My understanding is that the horse could potentially grow and fill out till he is seven. So it has to fit correctly but does it mean that when he gets to seven say that you would need to buy a new saddle as he would have grown out of it. This is something I know nothing about so any help appreciated. Oh and its for an almost 15hh cob.
It would be from a saddler so not buy and hope it fits off the internet. But potentially would you buy cheaper new one or a second hand from the saddler because he was going to grow out of it. Or would you still buy expensive and just part ex it in a few years time. How much would you pay.

We dont spend a lot on saddles ever.

For a youngster out competing we may buy several saddles over the course of two to three years. As an example our bought at 3yo ex racehorse started in a medium 17" saddle and now at 4 and a half has been through three saddles and is about to go onto a fourth. We seldom spend more than £250 on a saddle as we like old fashioned well known names which are normally cheap to buy, we have an ability to see basic fit and a proper saddler able to tweak.

For our RS horses and ponies we tend to buy a big selection of Thorowgoods which are well made and forgiving in fit and sit the rider well and change them around as horses chage shape

As long as it's good quality and fits well I'm not fussed on new. I have a lovely Antill Pilkington saddle that fits most cobby types and cost me £70. I'd rather that than buy a cheap import brand new.

I spoke to about three saddlers and had one out to see D, but as a cobby monster, I'd had a play with the saddles I had which fitted her on paper. I ended up spending about three times as much as my budget, and more than I'd actually paid for her(!) for the saddle I have now. I tried so many saddles but she was an awful shape to fit and thus nothing treed would fit and stay in place.

She has a solution smart native GP. As part of my treeless quest I'd also tried the HM flexee but felt far too perched on her. This saddle will fit her for the rest of her life with a few shim changes, currently she's got two tiny things in at the back, otherwise nothing to change the fit of the saddle. I've jumped her over 90cm, done dressage, XC, hacked etc...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: chev
Jess had 6 new saddles in her 5yo year, I would have preferred to have brought good quality second hand but had a real job finding ones to fit her (good quality western are more rare in the UK), then when I did she changed shape so fast.
She still changes shape fast when her work and weight fluctuate, my dressage saddle has an adjustable tree (saddle co) so if there is a major change we can adjust it but most we manage with flocking adjustments now, she's 13 in the spring.

I have a treeless. I backed her in it at four and she still has it aged seven. I just adjusted my pads as and when.
If it didn't work for us I would have gone back to treed where I would expect to need to change it as and when it needed it. I always had two treed saddles, one for autumn and winter, one for spring and summer. I realise that's not the norm but I thought flocking every six months was?

Antill saddles are a fab older saddle IMO, good quality and made in Walsall, (not the newer Antills with red studs as they were made abroad) you will pick up a second hand antill for around the £100 mark. Also most saddles will stock a range of second hand saddles including filleted ones which obviously would mean you could adjust the width yourself, or the older throwgood a with adjustable fish sell quite reasonably now. You other option is a treeless, I have a libra trek we use on the fell and only use her treed at shows. x

good quality second hand ideal for a changing shape. You can usually recoup your money when it comes time to sell. Its like buying a new car, reduces in value soon as you drive it away from the showroom! If unlimited funds well hey made to measure new one each time lol.

I bought Nealas Saddle when she was not even 2. Sensation Treeless and I know it will fit her shape.she us typical cob shape and even if a moderate wither appears I know it will fit.works on the 5 horses at work with a change of pad. I have had them for a while but really wanted to get myself a new one made as I wanted it. Beautiful burgundy and tan with all the extras I wanted.the cost was eek but it's even more eek 18 months on after 3 price rises! I also just picked up a 2nd sensation western model that has only been ridden n half a dozen times for her so we are good to go for years to come :)

I prefer second hand, but ultimately fit is what matters to me. As long as you get the right tree shape & wool flocking (or flair if you can find or afford it) then most saddles can be altered a reasonable amount by a good saddler.

I bought Nealas Saddle when she was not even 2. Sensation Treeless and I know it will fit her shape.she us typical cob shape and even if a moderate wither appears I know it will fit.works on the 5 horses at work with a change of pad. I have had them for a while but really wanted to get myself a new one made as I wanted it. Beautiful burgundy and tan with all the extras I wanted.the cost was eek but it's even more eek 18 months on after 3 price rises! I also just picked up a 2nd sensation western model that has only been ridden n half a dozen times for her so we are good to go for years to come :)

I bought one of your eeks and love it :)

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
When Ginger was 4 I got the saddler to bring a range of saddles in his size (on paper) second hand and new I bought the one that fitted the best. Luckly for me it was a monach (changable) and even changing shape from a race horse to a dressage horse and growing up now nearly 8 it still fits him. It is checked every 6 months.

Not so lucky with his dressage saddle it was Chanters did fit him with adjustment then he told me no matter what it looks like, how well we thought (saddler and I) it fitted he was not happy. So before I left he got a lovely new one that I rode in twice before I left the country.

It lives in my wardrobe at the moment, my husband tells me it is still there :(

I've always gone with throwgood/K&M adjustable Saddles for all my horses, never had an issue and could be changed to suit.

Not everything works for all though

newrider.com