What sort of wildlife do you have at the yard

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
When I was at my old field we were next to a nature reserve and had a huge abundance of wild life, rabbits, foxes, all different types of birds plus a few reptiles.

When I moved there appeared to be nothing, except the odd rabbit.

Over the last month, things have changed, I am happy to say we now have Robins and blackbirds, no finches yet but I will be working on that. We have a fox but not sure where he is hiding out atm, he is a little more Wylye than the last lot.

My joy today is that my suspicions have been confirmed and I have a family of Little owls in my hay bay. They are all squawking and flapping about and hanging around on fence posts, quite enchanting little things with plenty of 'grumpy' attitude.

Its strange but it feels like all these little wild critters have followed me up from the last place. I know that's ridiculous but its so nice to have my little wild life friends about:smile:

I'm a complete wildlife geek, so I love keeping an eye out for what is around!

We have Little Owls living in the old trees/hedges, a Tawny Owl that is very often hunting in the fields and some Barn Owls. We've got nesting Swallows at the moment, the chicks hatched at the weekend, I'd started to wonder if something had happened to the eggs as the parents kept going in but there was no cheeping & they've usually hatched by now, so I was delighted to hear lots of noise when I went in a few days ago!

We also have yellowhammers, lapwings, kestrels, sparrowhawks and buzzards.

Every now and then we have a hedgehog family set up camp under the palettes in the barn & there are always the usual foxes, badgers, roe deer and muntjack deer hanging around!

Yes, I love the wild life as well, I am also quite a geek with the plants, I remember at school one of my first memories was the Nature table.

NF, you have a lovely setting where you are:smile:

I remember one year at the old place I asked the farmer to come and spray my Ragwort. Farmers round here don't do anything in a hurry and he didn't turn up till mid July, by which time there where all manner of plants and insects buzzing round. I had to cancel him and dig it all by hand:frown: I think he thought I was raving.

At the new place we have a lot of farmers in the countryside stewardship scheme, its been lovely seeing all the wild flowers back in the fields and verges but it has been a nightmare trying to drive through the narrow lanes and the hay fever has been really bad for some.

I have a badger sett in my field (fenced off), we have buzzards and woodpeckers as well as the usuals like pheasants, rabbits and squirrels. YO owns a peacock which pops up here and there too...

What is with the abundance of butterflies at the moment too????

We've got rabbits, woodpeckers, birds of prey (a few different sorts), badgers, foxes, pheasents, partridges an abundance of pigeons and great creasted newts, lots of other birds but don't really know what most of them are! We also get ducks that swim on the pond and any large puddles in the fields. :happy:

At my horses old field we had a fox sett ( is that what its called??) every year we saw the brave little cubs exploring, it was nestled right at the top of the hill so cute to watch.

I'll be upfront and admit that most of what's at the yard I couldn't identify and there's loads of wildlife as the yard is out in the countryside.

Yes, I love the wild life as well, I am also quite a geek with the plants, I remember at school one of my first memories was the Nature table.

NF, you have a lovely setting where you are:smile:

Yes I am, its part of a reserve and national trust is adjacent. Come visit we have cottages. :biggrin:

I am really lucky for wildlfe, I've seen fox cubs, badgers, kestrals, buzzards, herons, yellowhammers, yellow bellied wagtails, the usual rabbits, swans, ducks, phesants, partridge, moorhens, frogs, newts, swallows, swifts and all sorts of small birds too fast for me to identify, and different types of goose, some waders, and skylarks.

And we are knee deep in wild flowers, we are really lucky to have a variety of habitats with some downland bits, weald bits, river, pond and marshy bits, hedges and open fields all on the farm we are on. The only type we havent go is woodland. We even get seabirds comming up the river from the coast, those black ones shaped like torpedos as well as gulls of different shapes and sizes.

The usual badgers, foxes, hares, deer (small ones)... lots of buzzards... and the occasional heron, but I think it's the same one!

A feral cat
A million and 10 bunnies
A few doves
crows
black birds
robins

and something that lives in the bush and comes out once in a blue moon that looks a little like a ferret

Pheasants, rats, rabbits, foxes, buzzards, sparrow hawks, kestrels, deer, Storm and Chloe.... hehehe
Mice - very cheeky ones! Hedgehogs....newts, slow worms, hares, large blue shiny beetles, cows, sheep, lots of butterflies in summer...frogs, toads, large spiders (which I am fascinated by).....squirrels, weasels - and of course THE BEAST!! A large black ghostly animal that roams the yard of a night....

Forgot about the owls! We have a lot of those. If you are lucky in the Autumn they gather in the huge old Mountain Ash tree just outside of our arena - they really are most vocal at times! Plus we do get them in the out house building - they like the ledges.

newrider.com