What to do after worming - probiotics?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Mattie has always been prone to pinworm and I thought I saw one recently, so this week he and Charlie have both had a 5 day course of Panacur.

It's nice to see that it's working - Mattie's poo is full of bean sprouts and there are one or two in Charlie's as well, so I'm glad I caught them. But I'd like to give them something to pick them up after the wormer. Do any of you give a probiotic after worming? What do you like to use?

Thanks i havent seen any of them in my boy poo. Looking at those sends shivers down my spine. Scary things those.

I've given jess protexin in the past if her poo wasn't quite normal after worming, the boys never seem to have any adverse reaction tho so haven't felt the need to give it to them.
@chunky monkey there's a pic on my old post here https://www.newrider.com/threads/pinworms.251590/
Protexin, that's the stuff! Thank you.

@chunky monkey , they look like beansprouts. EXACTLY like beansprouts. The ones I am seeing are all dead, so not half as scary as the live ones that @Jessey saw in Jess's poo!

Reactions: Jessey
I had visions of pinworms being tiny little things or an inch long like a sewing pin. Not 4 inches like a hat pin.

I had visions of pinworms being tiny little things or an inch long like a sewing pin. Not 4 inches like a hat pin.
Yep, 2-4" mostly, very identifiable due to the pin head, thankfully the least concerning type of worm as they do very little damage to the horse.

I used to give Jack Pink Powder for a week or two before and after worming with Pramox. He used to get footy because it's so strong and the PP definitely helped. I actually moved on to worming him (when needed) with Equest and then a week later with Equitape, but they stopped making it...typical!

PS Jack didn't tolerate the saliva test well in recent times..... holding something in his mouth for 10 mins was never going to be a winner!!!

newrider.com