what to do with horses when not riding

claude

Sep 2, 2004
Nottingham
Visit site
Anyone got any suggestions of what to do with your horse on a night off from riding.

I'm still building a bond with my boy, so want to spend as much time as possible with him, but after a groom i'm stumped as to what to do.

give him a bath

wash his tail

plait him up

take him for a walk

try some ground exercises

hope these help:)

Lots of grooming - its a good opportunity to get them really clean (only for them to roll in the first puddle they find)

In the winter I'd recommend spending time getting their legs and feet really clean due to the mud.

Also leading exercises - teach your horse how to walk properly on the lead rope, practice moving his legs individually, turning through his hind legs, backing up etc.

This will help establish you as the dominant one in the relationship!

I'm also gonna be looking into some equine massage courses - another way to build up a relationship and help the horse.

Final suggestion - parelli or some similar groundwork training.

When i had my late shettie, used to sit down or lay down (not something i'd recomend unless you trust your pony 1000%) and read books and do my college work together, i must have board him though as most of the time he'd lay streched out and go to sleep! lol :D

Kisses and Cuddles!!!

I will feed him in the field and whilst he's eating I walk round to check his paddock. He will finish his food and come over so I usually put my arms round his neck and just stand hugging him. Some nights he will stand there other nights he won't and walks off. But when he stands and excepts it its a real ahh moment.

Thanks guys, lots to work on...

yes he gets loads of kisses and cuddles probably thoughly fed up of me.

I like the idea of reading to him though if I sit down in his stable he finds it very odd and harasses me until I stand up! :)

I was going to suggest grooming - thats what I do if I'm not riding STorm - she loves it. I like to just spend time with her - probably boring her tho, as I can spend hours just watching her in her stable - and the field too!

Edited to add: You will find the places they love to be scratched and tickled if you spend enough time - I certainly did with Storm and now she "shows" me exactly where she would like scratching - only trouble is, it can go on for quite some time and I get quite tired hands.......!!!

massage! You can get books on how to do it. Gently massage him all over in circular motions (its also a great way of cleaning them your hands will be filthy afterwards!).
also strapping. Although be gentle at first so he understands your not hitting him. You can use your hands or a strapping pad on his muscly areas - shoulder, neck and hind quarters). it builds muscle and brings up shine.

carrot stretches

in hand grazing

loose schooling / join up

Groom, walk in-hand, give your horse a massage, clean tack box, tack, boots, sort through gear - bandages etc. So many things you can do, or just ask to help around the yard.

Roseanne xxx

Something that kept me and my old pony occupied for a good few weeks was teching him how to pick his feet up on command(to pick his feet out ect)
I also used to love sitting on my stable wall cleaning tack or jus lay and watch him eating or something.

newrider.com