What to feed a shetland

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
I have just moved my daughters shetland, she is now living out 24/7. she has a hay net hanged up in the field shelter but hardly touches it. there is alot of grass. coming up to the winter what should i feed her on????

she is a good size.

Nothing!
Got one who lives on fresh air. Dreading moving into the winter paddock as there is too much grass :cry:
He gets a tiny handful of speedi beet over winter and a smidgeon of hay and still looks like he could drop triplets!

I agree too, if she's healthy and in good condition then she's obviously getting everything she needs from the grass and hay so there's no need to add extra nutrition to the mix.

Depends on her workload.

Our's is in at nights and part clipped as in regular work. She gets 5lb of hay hung from a beam so it takes her a good while to get it. She then gets a mug of purabeet and a handful of greengold twice a day. You can see her ribs in certain light and feel them. I would feel for her ribs or weigh tape her often because all the fluff can hide whats underneath.

If yours is only working the odd day then the grass would be enough but I would be worried when the frost comes and she is eating frozen grass and the risk of lami. Would rather give her a small feed/hay before she goes onto the grass to stop her from pigging out on it but others might not agree if she is out 24/7 that she would pig out on it and be at risk ??

Mine is fed 1/4 small scoop (dry weight) of fast fibre and small handful of ruff stuff once a day but that is mainly to get his supplements in and to keep him out of Sully's feed.

He is clipped and in work also.

If in good condition then nothing :)

LL Not use the lami frost thing applies if living out - tbh I think colic is a bigger risk - but again only when turned out on frosty grass.

Mine get about 10 high fibre nuts :giggle:

My boys get more hay than grass tbh, as 1 is lami prone and the other has cushings.

Always have access to a Rockies mineral lick.

Ours get nothing unless they are pregnant or under 3 years old!

and I mean NOTHING, no hay no food no chaff no feed balancer, they have a lick that's it.

Ours get nothing unless they are pregnant or under 3 years old!

and I mean NOTHING, no hay no food no chaff no feed balancer, they have a lick that's it.

We need a like button!
Couldn't agree more.
Mine cannot be trusted with any licks salt or flavoured. Demolished in minute or rubbed all over themselves!
What licks do you use out of interest Wally?

Our feed merchant sells a "Shetland Area", not pony, specific lick that has all the things in it we are short of. Copper and cobalt specially. It's been made with our grazing in mind.

It's a bucket one and they do get a bit over excited with the first ones put out, and any grey ponies can be a bit brown for a day or so! They soon limit it and get bored of it.

Here's a Shetland dialect "like" button!
lik.gif

Is this the same Shetland pony that needed travel boots? :D

Are you sure it's a Shetland? :mstickle:

HAHAA yes it is

I Think she is :unsure:

So if i just get a field lick for her vits n minerals tht should be fine???

ohh im not use to this shetland thingi..& back to the travel boot things... I wish i had of bandaged her as when we got the other end she had turned herself completley around in the trailer and was rearing a few times on the way :banghead:

ohh im not use to this shetland thingi..& back to the travel boot things... I wish i had of bandaged her as when we got the other end she had turned herself completley around in the trailer and was rearing a few times on the way :banghead:
Did she scrape herself though? You don't say she actually injured herself so why would she need bandaged, I think that's more an issue with not being trailered correct secured, either move the partition over or cross tie her in future!

Shetlands can take a heck of a rattle and come to no harm at all. They have a low centre of gravity, skin like a Rhino and fur like a grizzly bear. They come with their own little suit of protective armour, that and a very well developed sense of self preservation.

If she thought for a moment that rearing would hurt her she wouldn't have done it, they are not daft.

Just what they should be grazing.
Breeder of Highlands not far from me and her lot are on similar grazing and not a rug in sight.
Says me with the clipped and rugged Highland and also have a rug for the mini Shet (although he wont come near me to get it on):redface:

newrider.com