What to teach a 2yrs old?

Shannon_Clover

Mar 16, 2005
Ireland
www.geriburlesque
I read in a paper about a trainer who lightly back 2yrs just for 10mins a day like training to wear a bridle, saddle, bit and only carry a rider at a walk for a few steps.
I forgot to add, its just for few months then put out to field and then to trainingthe following year at 3yrs.
Is this important to do some basic training at 2yrs to prepare them for training next year or really leave them alone until 3?

Last edited:
IMO, I think it's too young. Horses need to learn to be horses first and foremost and have their babyhood. Their minds and bodies are simply not ready for it.

It is my intention to buy a yearling in the next year or two, and I will expect her to be groomed, pick up her feet, accept rugs and headcollar, lead and start building relationships with the vet, farrier and EDT. Other than that, I will expect her to learn about equine behaviour and social structure from the others that she will be out with.
Bitting, backing, etc, will be left until she is at least three, assuming she is mentally and physically ready for it, then turned away until she is four.

I think people who back earlier are either far too impatient or trying to make more money on the sale of a "backed" youngster.

I think 2 is too young to carry weight. Mine is 2 this summer. I got her in January and was told by the owner that she had laid over her back. The lady also said she was 14 stone and Vogue was only standing about 14.2HH and very poor. I was a bit :eek:

This summer she will be led out. Probably in tack. We will start some long reining too but in lines not circles. She is already doing roads and traffic. My plan is for her to go everywhere my ridden horse goes, but with me on the ground.

i think that teaching a horse to wear a saddle and a bridle and a rider standing still and walking a few steps isnt going to physically harm the horse. however no lunging, or real riding should be done.

teaching the horse to wear tack but not teach it to walk trot and canter from aids to me is pointless and as it would be un fair on the horse physically and mentally to be asked to carry rider at speed at this age i dont see why you should rush to back a 2 year old.

leave it untill next spring then ride through summer and maybe give a break over the winter. i didnt let my 3 year old have a break but he was broken in the autumn of his 3rd year.

My nearly 3 yearold highland has had a very light well balanced friend sat on him in the stable a couple of times - he didn't notice really. I just wanted him to 'get the idea' so when it comes to backing it will be less strange. He has been bitted as I will be showing him in hand through the summer. He has also been for a few walks with a saddle or roller on. Apart from that he has just been taught the basics of mannerly behaviour. He is a saint for his age, nothing worries him, and I'm sure he would cope with backing but to me he is still too young physically and mentally for anything more. I want him to be happy and healthy into old age so don't mind waiting another year or two now!

My now 3 year old was taught good ground manners because they didnt exist, which involved standing tied, grooming, feet picked up/trimmed, lead well and move away from pressure, rugging, booting, washing ect as well as respecting person space (the really hard bit that he still struggles with at times:rolleyes:) and all that was done when I got him as a yearling which in theory he should have been taught as a foal.

As a 2 year old I taught him to lunge and long line at walk to let him get a feel for it (no longer than 5 mins) after getting him use to a bridle and roller and finding a bit he liked :rolleyes: Lots of inhand work in traffic, off and the yard, let him see a ground pole, tarp and generally desensitize him to scary things and teaching him how to react in a respectable manner if he does find something he is unsure of ie no bucking, bolting, rearing or sitting on mummies shoulders :p.

Now as a 3 year old and having the winter to himself doing nothing but eat and poop he has had me lean over him (9.5-10stone...hardly much weight for his size :rolleyes:) and he is to start proper long lining with a gentle lunging session to get him to build his muscle up...lots more walks out in tack with/without company, starting to have weight on his back more and walk around with a rider. Depending on how it all goes and if he takes to it well he might start to go on small hacks until having another winter in the field, if is finding it all a bit much I will just stick him back in the field and try again winter :)

My other youngster (rising 3) still cant pick her feet up properly so we have a long way to go with her and she might not even start the groundwork until a 4 year old, so its not important to have done it as a 2 year old...but the ground/foundation work has to be there before you try and get on board or you will end up getting hurt or have a really 'naughty' horse that really just doesn't understand.

Last edited:
at 2 i would be ensuring that all manners are good such as grooming, picking up feet, rugs, leading in walk and trot etc. I would also try to get them out to a few in hand shows, even if just for the experience of a noisy showground. I would also want them out with other horses as much as possible but would also introduce the bit, bridle, long reining and the saddle on. they would be walked out along the roads regularly and probably long reining out along the reins too when 2.5yrs. i would probably do this in the summer that they are 2 (so if 2 in the june then say from june to oct. then i would turn away fro most of the winter but make sure things like grooming, picking up feet etc are still done regualry. then when they are 3 i would lightly back, do all the above again and then back properly.

I would do just the wearing a bridle for possible in hand.

Nothin hugely work wise and definately get used to being boxed travelled and shown.

I would do small amounts on a longline to establish ground work bur definately no major lunging. little bit of freeschooling wouldnt hurt either and some desensitisation work.

Lots do do that doesnt entail riding :)

Nikki xxxx

newrider.com