What to wear?

We went shopping this morning, and I now have new breeches (johdpurs were uncomfy with the boots), they're a tad bit lighter than your's look in the photograph Daffy. I've also got a leather show cane with a silver button thing at the top, new gloves and a pair of leather boots with a zip at the back. I'll try and find a photo of them somewhere. They're ordering a jacket in for us - it's the Pretty Ponies green tweed one with the red line check running through it, and a velvet collar. Mum's in a spending mood, so we're taking Ruby to the saddlery this afternoon to try a show saddle on her and fit a double bridle (it will have a show pelham instead of double bits, as she's ridden in a pelham for hacking anyway, and goes nicely in it). :eek:. I think Mum's planning on maxing Daddy's credit card :eek:, but Ruby's going to look lovely I hope:D.

Lucy

That sounds great!

Make sure you get a flat nose and browband, and if you're getting reins too, see if you can get laced ones for the top, and 1/2" spliced ones for the curb. They look really smart ;)

I wish my parents would take me and do that :p

OK. The tack that they want to try on her is a Jefferies Hunter Double Bridle (with the flesh coloured under side). They've got three saddles that they think will fit her, one is a Jefferies show saddle, another is one by Derby House and the last is a working hunter saddle by Olney Saddlery. Out of these which one would be best?

Lucy

Personally I prefer the Jeffries saddles to the Derby House ones, and I haven't seen an Olney saddlery one. I've seen quite a few DH ones, and whilst I paid about £30 more for my Manor Saddlery one, I prefer mine by a long shot, and it's a perfect fit on Daffy.

See which one fits best, and base your choice on that. If none of them are spot on, try somewhere else. My saddle is from http://www.discountsaddlery.co.uk/ although it's not listed on the website, and I've found it so far to be the only one thats wide enough at the wither but "narrow" enough elsewhere, so it might be a case of looking around.

If you don't get a saddle, don't get a bridle. Wait until you have a saddle to match it to, don't do it like I did 3 years ago - buy the bridle, then find the saddle to match. :p

The Jeffries bridle will be fine, provided it matches the saddle you end up with. Are you getting brown? Brown is better for the show ring, although the hassle of matching saddle and bridle can be a bit much sometimes. ;)

sounds good ruby, im getting a similar tweed jacket from alexander james, its green with a red and navy overcheck.
stan has a jefferies bridle as well and a similar saddle to the derby house one, nut it is made by someone else this is a pic of me last year, ignore the blue tweed (naughty faye, but im replaceing it this year).
stanmM.jpg

Sorry to hijjack but I didn't want to start a new a new thread! Would you need to ride differently with a double bridle? Also Kanuma you ponies tail look thick like my horses what do you use to calm it down and look nice like it is in the pic or is it naturally controlled unlike my horses which looks like a bomb exploited in it!

toohorsemad said:
Sorry to hijjack but I didn't want to start a new a new thread! Would you need to ride differently with a double bridle? Also Kanuma you ponies tail look thick like my horses what do you use to calm it down and look nice like it is in the pic or is it naturally controlled unlike my horses which looks like a bomb exploited in it!

differently from what? a snaffle or a pelham?
stans tail it the product of days agoniseing over it! he has sweetitch so as you can imagine it is hard to keep a tail on him.
it is discreately pulled a couple of days before the show, you cant see it by looking at it from the side, it just looks neater but still natural, so i suppose a better way of putting it would be that i shape it not pull it.
the day before the show he gets it slathered in spray detangler. then it is combed out and brushed. then it is washed and conditioned. rinsed well then left to dry. it is combed out again with spray conditioner. then plaited loosely to stop it getting tangled. the top part is then dampened and a tail bandage put on. a couple of hours later it is then taken off and a clean dry and tail bandage is put on loosely for the night.
in the morning of the show the tail bandage it taken off again, tail dampened, and tail bandage put back on.
at the show we unplait the tail, brush it out with an enormouse amount of detangler spray, then plait it back up again. the tail comes out of the bandage and plait just before we go in the ring and goes back into the plait when we come out!

i havent seen stan since christmas, but i imagine it looks a bit like a toilet brush at the moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
We ended up getting the Jefferies saddle as it fitted her beautifully. SHe went well in it as well, which was good. She's starting to look very posh (if slightly tubby:eek: she's worked six days a week for at least half an hour and is still large!)!

Lucy

all natives seem to have a problem dropping weight!
stan looks like a tank right now!! he has been out all winter with no rug and no feed and has put on ay least 80kg. and he is being ridden 3 times a week

Vic used to be skinny then I found out he had worms even though he was wormed with very good wormers so now that there gone he's a tank! I was looking at him yesterday and I was like omg he really has been come a cob! He looked like an overgrown pony before that! LOL

newrider.com