What to wear?

It depends what you do really.

This summer my local riding club is holding Ponies UK Summer Championship qualifiers. I can buy a £10 ticket so that if I do get placed high enough to qualify, I can still go, but I have to pay the full membership (me, Daffy and my mother) within 7days of doing so. Total cost - £85 including the ticket, plus class fees.

For HOYS i'm not sure how it works, I think you need a qualifying ticket for the relevent society who's class it is. Similarly if you want to do any BSPS/PUK affiliated shows you will need to be a member for some classes.

At local level though, you can qualify for tonnes of champs, and often the only membership you need is that of the riding club. There are ones such as the Festival of Champions, the Ultimate Showcase of Champions and so on and so forth.

At agricultural level, all you need is her breedpapers and passport. I think the same applies to most of the county shows, and it's just if the class is run by BSPS/PUK you need to be a member to enter.

OK then... so I just have to affiliate to the society that runs the class that I'm entering then? Thats simple. I'm off to find out which society HOYS M&M classes are run by :D

Lucy

Jade, you have a lovely pony!! If you don't mind me saying, a brighter (maybe red) tie would brighten things up a bit, at the minute whilst you are turned out well, things are a little dark. Probably not helped by the dark sky though ;)

For both of you really, this is what I used to wear on my welsh D;
DSC00372.jpg

(Then it progessed to navy number string and a leather harnessed navy hat)

And this is what I'll be wearing this season with a navy leather harnessed hat.
Showturnout004.jpg

For your individual show you want to keep it quite short and emphasize what your horse is best at, but it has to be adaptable to the ring, as often layout changes.

I do;

Walk away from the judge on the right rein. Into trot when about 10strides away from the judge. Trot around the corner and extend the trot across the diagonal, change rein and strike off into canter on the corner. Canter the short side and then change the rein across the diagonal - normally I do this through trot, but sometimes canter-walk-reinback-walk-canter if I want to really show off. Canter around the other short side and then gallop down the long side. Steady canter around the corner, into trot down the short side, then back to walk after the next corner. Stop after a few strides of walk (as near to the judge as poss) and salute.

I do change that sometimes, it depends on the shape of the ring and what the judge wants. In equitation i've been asked to incorporate a serpentine, so I did that where I would normally extend the trot. :)

rubyrox said:
OK then... so I just have to affiliate to the society that runs the class that I'm entering then? Thats simple. I'm off to find out which society HOYS M&M classes are run by :D

Lucy

I know the Open M&M Large class at the PUK summer champs is a HOYS qualifier. I really hope that's not the class I'd be qualifying for - the standard will be sooo high. :)

There is a list of qualifiers on the HOYS website. Not this year for me - Ruby is still too babyish... but I have my plans...:rolleyes: :D !

Daffy's gorgeous. What breed is he (sorry if you said it earlier!)?

Lucy

He's a full D, although he looks more like one now for some reason. :rolleyes:

Thats him in action at his last show - 3rd in the M&M large as he refused to canter on one rein in his show and did an extended trot instead. :rolleyes:

Untitled51.jpg

Edited to add, thats the extension we get just coming from canter to trot, so it's always a good idea to do a canter-trot transition just before you go in front of the judge. ;)

Last edited:
hi, for HOYS M&M there is no society to join (yay) however for olympia it is the NPS.
jade you nees a red coloured tie to brighten up your outfit.
i'm going to dash alot of hopes now, but qualifying for HOYS is very very difficult!
this is the standard you need to be at to get there
dream2.jpg

nobby4.jpg

good luck with your showing venture.
good places to get jackets are alexander james and pretty ponies

Rubyrox, don't wear long black boots, you are a junior, so short black or dark tan boots with joddie clips to hold your jods down, also cream jods look better than canary, as yellow is such a hard colour to wear.

Daffy, don't takethisthe wrong way hun, but those jods look really bright, try to tone them down a touch, or wear cream, at least you won't look like an overgrown budgie!And if your boots are leather, get some parade gloss, the stuff the army use, it isreally good stuff and gives a high gloss long lasting shine.

I think you will find mad mare, that in a county M&M show ring, the majority of people wear canary, banana or yellow cream jods.
also she is riding a Large breed M&M, very very few will ever wear short boots when doing this. so i would say long black boots for a Welsh D.
even if she goes for short boots, brown is the correct colour for them not black.

mad mare1 said:
Daffy, don't takethisthe wrong way hun, but those jods look really bright, try to tone them down a touch, or wear cream, at least you won't look like an overgrown budgie!And if your boots are leather, get some parade gloss, the stuff the army use, it isreally good stuff and gives a high gloss long lasting shine.

Cream looked naff. Believe me - I've had them. Infact, I've had beige, cream, pale canary, and then these ones, which are "sand" and therefore a dark canary, not banana, not corn. Note the CREAM jods with the blue jacket and how washed out it looks. I don't care what you say, cream jods do not go with my green tweed, and the pale canary jods do nothing for me or my horse.

Yes the boots are leather (what else are they going to be?), but the boots are also brand new. I do have parade gloss, and I will be using it when I need to. It's not necessary to put that much effort in for a photoshoot.

Yes Rubyrox is a junior, but WPCS says that either type of boot may be worn for any age group, so she can wear long boots, which is considered correct for large breeds. In this case, without seeing a photo of the actual combination, I and several others (including some producers of welshies) feel that long boots will look better. And also, black short boots are NOT done, they should be brown.

Yellow is only a hard colour to wear if you have large legs, which I think we will both agree neither her nor me have.

I'm sorry to disagree with you again MM, but I think you already know my opinions on your turnout, and unless I consider someone's turnout to be correct, I won't be taking their advice about mine!

totaly agree with you there daffy!
oh and im a thunder thighs and canary looks much better then cream on me! and mine are bright yellow too (bannana legs)

Kanuma said:
and mine are bright yellow too (bannana legs)

Mine have been getting brighter by the year for some unknown reason. I used to be a beige advocate, then again I insisted black tack was better too!! *complete convert*

I have three pairs of the current show jods (well two at work to pay for) so they should last me a while :rolleyes: and I don't think i'll ever make it into banana leg territory, it's quite a big leap, through canary and corn :p

I do think men look silly in yellow jods though. Saw a picture of a grown man (with muscly legs) in tight corn jods and jod boots on a section C. Now *that* is why long boots should be worn in large breeds. :D

I said please don't take it the wrong way,but you obviously have, and I couldn't tell what colour your tweed was, looked dark, but not sure. Also, may I ask how old you are, as if you are under 16 it is customary to wear short boots with joddie clips, long boots denote a senior rider, ie over 16, may just get a few extra points with judges, for having the nerve in a predominantly senior class. Also my breeches are a sand colour, just depends what constitutes sand in the makers eyes. Can I also point out that it is over 15 years since I showed a native under saddle, so showing trends and customs have changed somewhat. and in response to the remarks about crystal and me at the royal lancs last year, she was placed down the line cos she pulled like a train, and she was "too old" according to the judge, even though she was the best ride. always next year!

It's quite clearly a browny-green?

I'm 18, but it has nothing to do with what is correct on an m&m large breed. I've been wearing long boots since I was 16, but I got them when I got Daffy, so if I'd got him at 14 I'd have worn long boots then too. You can wear either type of boots, as stated by the WPCS, but the norm is for large breeds to be shown in long boots, and for that reason it does look more professional, regardless of age. You get 12 year olds competing in ISHT/ISRT classes, does that mean they shouldn't wear long boots, even though that is correct turnout for that horse?

It may be considered the norm at local level for minors to wear short boots, but this is so parents don't have to spend loads on long boots that a kid is going to grow out of! That I can understand, but Rubyrox has said that her parents are happy to buy her some boots, and the written rules state that long boots are fine, so it's not a problem. At county level the only thing age seems to come into is being in/out of classes, boots are determined by the type of horse. Would you have an adult rider (say 26) riding a Sec A in long boots?

Maybe I should explain a few things about the current M&M show world. :)

It is very difficult to brighten up an M&M and therefore stand out. They can't have blingy browbands, you can't wear buttonholes with a tweed, and you don't have a navy jacket to team with a garishly bright pink tie. Until recently, tweeds have been really quite dark and plain, meaning the only way to lift things was with the shirts, ties and jods. Obviously you don't want to be wearing a bright red shirt, and the tie has to be somewhat discreet, but beige or cream jods look really washed out against a tweed jacket, and in the showring all together. For somebody with large thighs I realise that yellow is not a good look, but a lot of M&M riders are quite lithe anyway.

Going from most of the showing websites, this is the progression from beige to yellow.

White, cream, beige, sand, canary, corn, banana.

Like you've said the colour does vary slightly, for example the Dublin Kew breeches in Cream - the colour is most definately canary. My Sand jods - probably classes as a fairly dark canary, depends on the beach. :p

There are no coloureds in Large breed classes, so it can be difficult to get a horse to stand out. Fairly bright (degree of severity dependant on age and type of horse, as well as size of legs) breeches are the best way to do this. I wouldn't like to see bright jods on a large breed, but with long boots you don't see that much leg anyway.

newrider.com